Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laser Magazine

Default New Laser Magazine

New Laser Magazine Sees First Publication
    April 1, 2017

The students of Saint Wilfred’s Lumentic Institute Department of Journalism are excited to release their first publishing effort: Agricultural Lasers Monthly magazine. Under the direction of Professor Poul DeOtherwon, the students are reporting on the latest developments in the exciting new field of farming lasers.

Editor-in-Chief Connie Canard grew up on a duck farm, got interested in lasers, and ended up back where she started after enrolling at St. Wilfred’s. She oversees a staff of 20 students who have been visiting farms and laser manufacturers all over the world to research this topic.

The magazine will be available at newsstands at better farming communities world-wide, starting in April. For now, you can download a sample of the cover and index page here:

http://mikegouldlaserartist.com/AgLasersMo.pdf

Other enlightening articles from Saint Wilfred’s are to be found here:

http://mikegouldlaserartist.com/Muses.pdf
    http://mikegouldlaserartist.com/Lase...enaissance.pdf

…Clickamouse

In Charge,
    Saint Wilfred’s Lumentic Institute
    Runs with Lasers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3986.GIF 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	51944
    Nicely Done, Sir.

We may laugh now, but I would not be surprised if there is a laser scarecrow to be had in the near future!

Thanks for posting, Clickamouse!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

the students are reporting on the latest developments in the exciting new field of farming lasers.
    I misunderstood. I thought they were "into" growing lasers from seed. Farfetched?

They'll never make it if they don't get off the news stands and access the internet, the information superhighway.

Right. Now if we can coax the cell surfaces to produce a lipo-protein layer with a very low refractive index, then a cellular sized whispering mode laser might actually be "grown".

... I'm remembering an older article in a scientific magazine, showing an arrangement of micron sized quantum-dot lasers, arranged in tiny vertical columns, meant for data communictions or "light-fields".

Imagine genetic enigineered trees or flowers, emitting some trillion tiny laser-beams out of their leafs ... maybe focussable to a "death-ray" for self-protection or areal guarding

Viktor

Like "random lasers" focus is not my first thought. Think about "thinking". What if communication was with light rather than a sodium channel? Conditions in the cell could inhibit or enhance or enable output. Lasers like neurons tend to be all or nothing, but add the degrees of freedom of wavelength and connection at a distance rather than one to the next, to the next... Scary or exciting.

AFAIK there is something similar described in "Ring-World"-SF-novels from Larry Niven - IIRC the "Slater sun-flowers" don't emit lasers, but have higly refeletive coated petals and can move/adjust them to project a strong beam of reflected sunlight onto a target.

There were big fields, full of them, protecting itself and "fertilizing" the field by burning birds (or other flying vehicles) crossing the field ... would be even better or more effective with organic lasers instead of reflected/focussed sunlight

Another "laser plant" was described in a SF-novel from Alan Dean Foster (German name of the novel is "Prisma") - there were very long barriers of thorny plants, connected to each other and "internal" communicating with laser-light. When the main character cut the barier to go through, the plants accumulated a high energy and after some seconds (when the character was inside the freed gap), they emitted strong laser-beams and damaged/wrecked his "invulnerable" suit ...

Viktor
    Last edited by VDX; 04-06-2017 at 00:52.

I LOVE this discussion, lifelong science fiction reader that I am.

This started out as my annual April Fools Day goof, but has grown strange.

Perfect.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers