Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advce from RC Enthusiasts

When running a four stroke at part throttle are there any fouling issues? Is there a typical torque curve for these RC engines? I don't have to nail this precisely, but if I intend to run at some part throttle RPM to obtain, let's say 1Kw, it would then give me an approximate kV for the generator to obtain around 15V output. Also, with the generator and a cooling prop occupying the output shaft, a pull start might be a little bit of an issue. I don't want the complexity of designing some sort of circuit to use the generator as a starting motor. Even though this sounds kinda sexy it introduces a significant amount of complexity. Could a short cord be wrapped around the coupling shaft without risking a re-wrap or are there some motors that have both front and back shafts to allow a typical RC starter to be used?

No, the oil content is pretty low so fouling is generally not an issue.
    There are some engines with a starter mechanism built in at the rear of the engine, but I couldn't name one off hand.

Oh, a couple of makes do have a separate starter shaft, RCV being one that springs to mind but they're glow engines (unless you convert a glow engine to gas, but that's adding complexity)