Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video projector in my way :(

Nothing's 100% safe, let alone 110%

a 50% bam isn't actually 50% power. Dont fire the direction of the video projector and have them work together is just fine.
    The only time where it really could be 50% is with maybe a PCAOM or AOM... however diodes aren't that linear and neither are things adjusted in a linear way *take in account color balance which usually is logarithmic!

You can still get lasing inside of a 100% BAM when you overscan or your galvos freak out without a scanfail. In dubai I was doing a waterscreen stage projection but on the other side were 4 projectors each 1 million each which was the direction I had to project towards.
    You have to coordinate with the video projector guys (as much as you might not like eachother) so you can zone properly.. even use some metal slides to make sure the sides aren't being hit (after the zoning preferably) (new clubmax model for instance has 4 shutters from all 4 directions you can manipulate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4way.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	51977

On dubai however we used a lightline projector and the projector had to be moved during a "call out on radio". so every rezone would mean a physical cap on each projector.
    Good luck with your project and don't rely on software protection when people or expensive equipment is at risk for your own sake.
    Last edited by masterpj; 04-16-2017 at 05:53.

I have experimented with several solutions to this video and lasers predicament over the years. As background, my environment has lasers mounted pointing in pretty much all directions and three video projection areas. For years, I didn't have any problems, but I eventually fried a PICO DLP projector after upgrading power to one of my laser projectors that had the video projector square in its sites.

I then implemented the DMX servo solution that Finale described using lightweight aluminum shields. It worked fine except that the servos were loud and occasionally jerked a little bit. One of the projectors bounced a little every time this occurred, making a bit of a distraction in the projected image. I eventually fried another PICO DLP projector because I left the shutters open on the video projectors while doing some testing. Oh, side note, in my experience you can hit the lens of a DLP from an angle outside of the projected image range and not cause damage to the DLP chip. Once you are "in the zone", though all bets are off and you'll typically get cascade failures vertically and/or horizontally from the point that initially fails on the DLP.

I finally grew tired of keeping track of lasers versus video timing and changed all my video projectors to short throw 3 LCD models. The 3 LCD model video projectors are far more resilient to laser strikes than DLPs. Also, as they are short throw projectors, two of them are mounted so close to the projection area that I can no longer hit the lens with my lasers. I still have a DMX servo cover solution on the third although I'm not sure it needs it. A side benefit of the short throw projectors is that they end up going through less fog and are therefore brighter in these conditions as well as less of a distraction for the audience.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Which 3LCD's did you go with?

I've got a Sony's VPLSW235 WXGA, a Sony VPL-SW125 WXGA, and a Hitachi CP-DW10N at the moment. I'm happy with the lumens in my small space, but when I upgrade next time, I plan on getting one with a higher contrast ratio (black should be black, not grey!).

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

check here---- http://www.ilda.com/camera-sensor-damage.htm

and IIRC Pangolin has info on this too. its discussed are LSO class too.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-