Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video projector in my way :(

Default Video projector in my way :(

i know that laser and video projector are not good friends .. is there a way to protect the video projector, like a lens or filter so i can shoot beams around the projector ??

... Say what now?

You don't want lasers hitting your video projector? Is that what I'm getting out of this?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes, you just need to get something to put over the lens of the video projector to keep the beams from entering it. I've done something as simple as a piece of paper and a rubberband.
    Just like some cell phone cameras and other digital cameras can be ruined by taking pictures of laser beams if they enter the camera, video projectors are equally sensitive - even if not powered on so, when setting up your show ALWAYS look out where your beams are terminating if you see a projector facing towards you - better safe than sorry and cover it up. I even have covered security cameras after letting security know why I was going to do it. You DON'T want to be the laser guy that had to pay $15,000 to replace a venues Barco or Christy projector because you fried the DLP!

Truthfully... that's the first thing I look for in ANY venue. Even more than reflective surfaces, my first scan around the room is for, "What equipment can possibly be ruined by my show?"
    PM Sent...

The problem is i want to use both laser and video projector at the same time it is possible to block laser beams but let pass 100% or 80% without changing to colors of the video projector .. put a lens in front of the projector like the one in laser safety glasses ?

Or there is no way and i need to map my laser under the projector OR use pangolin beam map attenuation ( my laser is TTL so on or off) to mute the projector area ?

Your best bet is to use the BAM. Set up the BAM with the projector lens covered as an additional safety measure. Unfortunately, there isn't really much you can do to protect the projector without ALSO drastically affecting the projected image.

Is the BAM 110% safe ?

I don't know about 110%, but I trust it enough to have razored out no-go zones in large venues. Set it to 0% in the areas where you absolutely want to avoid the projector and give yourself as much of a buffer zone as you're comfortable with.

Depending on what you mean by using video projectors and laser projectors at the same time there might be another solution for you. If they are used during the same show, but not both at the same time, there is this company selling laser projector shutters which are basically servo motors with overs attached to them and the servo is a box you put on top of your video projector. The shutter is DMX controlled. This might work, unless you need both video and laser running at the same time. Then just cover the lens area of the projector with something like a matte metal piece, have a horizontal line projected by your laser projector slowly moving from top to bottom or bottom to top. This way you can determine excatly where the projector lenses fall in the laser's space and use a small safety zone there.
    A dichro in front of a video projector aperture to protect it from one colored lasers won't do as you will also be blocking the red, green or blue photons coming out of your video projector.

Just make sure you also have a bulletproof insurance policy to cover the video projector damage
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine