Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burningman LEM - Is this something YOU might be interested in

In the case of the of the Kvants, the hardware i would assume is covered,i purchased them at LDI conference in vegas. I am sure given the time frame these challenges can be overcome.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Hire Roberta McHatten to handle the paperwork for you. She specializes in regulatory, and is Good at it.

Steve

Here is my view on the matter. Burningman is not the right venue for a LEM. LEM's-Laser Enthusiast-Meeting's, are not public events open to anyone who wants to come, but private events we are able to side step the variance requirement because they are not open to the public. Here in the USA we have rules in place that do not allow for Public Display of lasers without a proper variance And for most people who go the LEM's this would be a problem. Many of these members do not hold variances as they are hobby laserists so they can not use operate their lasers in public and Burningman is a public event. The other big issue I see is that it is not a good place to bring expensive, dust sensitive equipment to. We do lasers at Burningman for larger camps, and have built custom enclosures do deal with the dust, if you take a standard projector out there, you will be "donating" it to the playa and it will never be the same again. If you really want to do a LEM out on the playa, do it either before burning man, or after. I have a friend who is into model rockets and they have meet ups on the playa where they launch their model rockets, some over 15ft tall, but a few weeks after the burn.

My 2 pennies on the matter.... lol

Good points all around especially:

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    ...if you take a standard projector out there, you will be "donating" it to the playa and it will never be the same again.
    The dust in the Black Rock Desert is finer than talcum powder and is highly alkaline with a pH of 10, it is murder on just about everything.

It also smells very distinctive.
    I did the service on the return of the projectors I built, and it is indeed just like flour in texture, and can compress into firmer lumps, and will get into any open crevice, especially if you have any negative pressure in the case.
    Compressed air line and soft brushes of various sizes I found the best tools.
    Although it was some time ago, I still catch a little bit of the playa dust smell in my workshop.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I like this idea. 2018 works better for me as I will most likely not be attending this year. Do we know anyone with a dome?

-Sal