Thread: AL-40 scanner amp pins?

Default AL-40 scanner amp pins?

Can anone guess which pin is for which. I'm asking people to guess because as usual Mimi is taking forever to give an actual answer. They sent me a diagram of a newer amp which runs both the X and Y galvo. This one has one for X and one for Y. and positioning of the connectors and number of connectors is different.

I'm hoping someone else has these here or this is a copy of the DT40 board.

Isn't the connection info silk-screened on the board? The resolution on the picture you provided is a little small but it still looks like the info is there. e.g. "-24V G G +24V"... "-15V G +15V"... "- G G +". Again, I can't be sure what the silk-screen says because I can't really read it in this pic but it looks like the info is there.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

It is, but there are two issues, didn't know what the 15V connector was for at all and also for the signal the labels were "RP, +, GND, -" but after I got a response it was actually "+, GND, GND, -". So two GNDs which is odd. In another pic they sent me the GND next to the + was used and the pin next to the - was just left out so I did the same.
    Previously I had a DT40 scanner which just had the signal cables included too which were missing with this probably by mistake so I had to make two myself (no big deal), and with DT40 the cables were marked on the connector with a marker so it was pretty straightforward.
    Anyways, got my answers.

An unrelated question, should I be using the GND on these amps and connecting them to the GND on the ILDA connector? I don't remember whether it was the signal GND which produced artifacts with scanners or power GND.

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    It is, but there are two issues, didn't know what the 15V connector was for at all and also for the signal the labels were "RP, +, GND, -" but after I got a response it was actually "+, GND, GND, -". So two GNDs which is odd. In another pic they sent me the GND next to the + was used and the pin next to the - was just left out so I did the same.
    Previously I had a DT40 scanner which just had the signal cables included too which were missing with this probably by mistake so I had to make two myself (no big deal), and with DT40 the cables were marked on the connector with a marker so it was pretty straightforward.
    Anyways, got my answers.

An unrelated question, should I be using the GND on these amps and connecting them to the GND on the ILDA connector? I don't remember whether it was the signal GND which produced artifacts with scanners or power GND.
    For the purpose of archive on the site it would be good to post the answer so others see it later on.

I gave the answer pretty much, the 15V connector is unused unless you use one of their "control boards" (I'm guessing a DMX or SD card reader board).
    But here's a visual illustration:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	52301

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	52302

But if you buy today you'll probably get the single board version which controls both galvos:

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	52303

Again, I don't have the GND from the signal connected to the ILDA GND because I don't think the X and Y scanner boards should share the same signal ground which produces artifacts. Or am I wrong?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Nearly 99.992% of the time, the +/- 15 volt lines are outputs from the card. Its power for the TL082 series operational amplifiers, which cant run off the +/-24 volt input rails. So for daughter cards, they bring out the outputs. There is a 7815 and a 7915 regulator on each card.
    There are a few US made galvo amps where jumpers can be installed, bypassing the regulators, so the 15 volts becomes an input to power the card, and those are Cambridge Products. Hence the .008 percent exception.

`
    One other thing to know is the notch filter daughterboard sets on a 5 pin connector, and if the notch board goes bad or is un-needed, you can remove it, place a jumper across the right two pins, and retune the amp a bit and it will run at less Kpps. Conversely the amp wont scan without either a jumper or the notch board installed. This is sometimes useful when you need to calibrate the position sensor portion of the amplifier. I've seen amps not scan when the notch daughterboard gets loose in transit. Not for beginners, but useful to know sometimes.
    ~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-01-2017 at 12:01.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Don't know about notch filter but if you want to get a spooky sound you can set a noise oscillator as an FM source for a sine wave oscillator, pass it through a lowpass filter and crank up the resonance and finally apply a reverb filter with 100% wetness to the final sound.

First test today. LEDs on the Amps lit up, good sign, mirrors got into default positions, also good, but can only scan a point....
    Will recheck the X and Y signal cables and my ilda connector for issues.
    Or maybe I DO need to connect the GND from the Amps to the ILDA GND?

Here is a good video and article (link in the description) about grounding. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0GISQi9fE
    Last edited by absolom7691; 06-01-2017 at 17:18.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Pretty much how I have it set up. Probably something stupid going on.