Thread: FPV racing quadcopter kit on sale at Horizon Hobby

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Damn you, buffo...
    I *might* be saying that as well soon.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I *might* be saying that as well soon.
    HAHA! Well, this time the blame falls to Stuka, not me! He's the one who first suggested the Vortex!

That being said, I must admit that it was a good call. This is a *great* bird, and it is an absolute steal at this price. It would cost me easily another $150 to build something similar, and there's no way I could make it this compact or lightweight. I honestly wish I had bought this one right from the start! Would have saved me a lot of time and money... (And I would have had two separate alerts to prevent running the battery too low, which means I wouldn't have lost it in the Dead River in Florida like my first quad.)

So for those of you contemplating getting one of these things, here's the rest of the story:

You will need a radio to control it. That means a transmitter and a receiver. For the transmitter I am using the OrangeRX T-six from Hobby King. It sells for $65.

For the receiver I'm running the OrangeRX R615X, also from Hobby King. It sells for $12.

Note that you can probably also find these on E-bay and/or Amazon for similar prices. But no matter what radio you select, make CERTAIN it supports CPPM output on the receiver (so only one set of wires hooked up, instead of one set for each channel). That's the only way the Vortex will talk to it.

You also need a battery. (Well, you probably want several.) I recommend a 3S to start with, although if you are already experienced and want to go super fast, you can go with a 4S. Batteries can be bought from lots of places, but Amazon probably has the best pricing. The manual suggests a minimum of 1300 mAh capacity, but I think that is too low. I would recommend at least 1800, and I run 2200 so I get longer flights (up to 12 minutes on a single battery).

Here's the battery I use: https://www.amazon.com/FLOUREON-2200...S+2200+battery

Make sure that you get your battery with the XT-60 connector so it will plug in to the Vortex. (I'm actually using Dean's plugs on my batteries, so I had to re-wire the battery connector on my bird.)

Then you'll need a battery charger. This is the one I use, because it's cheap and very versatile, and only cost me $40.

That's all you need to start flying. However, if you want to fly with the first-person video, you need googles. I'm using the old version of these Quanum mono-googles from HobbyKing. They cost $65 and are very nice. The new model even allows you to manually select the receiving channel. Wish my old ones did that (they only auto-scan). But if you were at SELEM last year, you've seen what these look like.

Note that if you get goggles you also need a small battery to power them. (Something like this will work well

Short version - if you don't have any RC gear at all, you can get into this unit (including all the extras above) for a total cost of under $400. That's insanely cheap for an FPV rig that has all these extras and flies so well (and fast). And if you already have some RC stuff (like a charger, a radio, and batteries), then you might only need a receiver and a set of goggles...

No matter how you look at it though, this is a good deal, and the quad itself is very nice. Look on Youtube for videos of the various on-screen display modes!

Adam

Great write up Adam!
    I recall doing a write up like that for you just a couple years ago. (Although the cost was much higher.) It's amazing how prices drop over time with popularity/vendor competition.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I recall doing a write up like that for you just a couple years ago. (Although the cost was much higher.)
    I remember dude! I guess I really should be blaming you for getting me into this, right? HAHA! But yeah, the cost was easily double back then. Maybe more even...

Several people have asked me for a detailed parts list, which is why I posted the lengthy message above. Sure makes it easier to have everything in one place, especially if you're just starting out.

It's amazing how prices drop over time with popularity/vendor competition.
    Not only that, but the quality has gotten so much better. The OSD I have for my original quad is flaky as hell. But the display on the Vortex is amazing! Plus it's got so many different modes... I never imagined you could get this much variety without spending stupid money. I just about lost my shit when I saw the "game" mode that matches the on-screen interface of the game "Liftoff". Talk about realism! Though I have to admit that the F-16 style HUD with the artificial horizon is also very cool looking.

For now I'm sticking with the standard interface that has all the info on the outside of the screen to give you the best field of view. I find that I'm mostly just looking at my altitude, although I do glance down at the current draw and battery voltage from time to time. Maybe when I get better I will see if I can learn how to read that military-style HUD...

Can't wait to fly this at SELEM this year!

Adam

OK NOW WHO IS THE BAD INFLUENCE!!!?
    I ordered the one off eBay. It comes with the spare props and crash kit too. No shipping cost or tax. I'll get it next week.

I rationalized it by saying, now we are all flying the same craft. You know to even the playing field. Lol

HAHA! Priceless!

Though honestly, "level playing field" isn't really an issue here. You're far and away more experienced than I am. Maybe BlueFang could give you a run for your money, or maybe Stuka too, but I'm not in the same league.

Still, it's going to be fun to just fly around and have some laughs. I'm looking forward to it!

Adam

Didn't want to open a new thread...
    Not sure if you watch this Y/T channel. He is a bit
    of a whinner but has some good points about the
    new Quad Rules/legislation in Canada and recently
    in the UK.... The rest of the world legislators are
    watching.... IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfrh...em-uploademail

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

So, how many Vortex 285's are now likely to show up at SELEM, LOL
    Wish I could make the trip this year, but I'll be monitoring PL to see how the racing turns out.

Word of advice to newbies just learning FPV ~
    If you're running 4s and punch the throttle, this quad WILL depart the neighborhood in a hurry!!

Ask me how I know, LOL!!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Got mine flying a couple days ago.
    Stuka is correct. This thing is a beast with a 4 cell. I plan to do some FPV with it today to get used to it for the big race! Lol

Hope a couple of you guys are carrying GoPro's or similar to record the spectacle!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....