Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FPV racing quadcopter kit on sale at Horizon Hobby

Thumbs up FPV racing quadcopter kit on sale at Horizon Hobby

Hey folks...

Was catching up with Randy (Stuka) earlier today, and he pointed me to a really great deal over at Horizon Hobby. They have the Vortex 285 racing FPV quadcopter from Immersion RC on sale for just $199 with free shipping right now. This is one hell of a good deal! The Vortex is just slightly larger than a standard 250-series racing quad, but this thing has *all* the add-on features included.

This is a completely plug-and-play kit, in that it includes motors, speed controllers, flight controller, the FPV camera, the on-screen display module, and the video transmitter. Basically you install a receiver for whatever control radio you use, and then you plug in a battery and you're off and flying. And if you already have googles, just turn them on and they'll pick up the FPV broadcast (complete with on-screen display) from the Vortex! (All 40 channels of the 5.8 GHz spectrum are supported on the video transmitter.)

I've heard of this bird before, but it was always too expensive so I never really paid much attention to it. But at this price, it's a steal! You can't build a racing quad for this price, let alone an FPV racing quad with all these extras.

I just ordered one for myself, but if any of you RC enthusiasts are interested, here is the link: https://www.horizonhobby.com/vortex-...-irlvxat5g8350 No idea how long the sale price is good for...

I'll have this baby with me at SELEM for sure! (Just need to decide if I'm going to use it with my Spectrum radio or the older Skyartech radio...)

Adam

Thanks for the heads up and the link Adam...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Maidened mine today -
    All stock with a Spektrum AR7700 serial receiver (direct plug-in with the Vortex) and my Spektrum DX9.

Awesome race quad, great flyer, great video feed -
    For the price, it's going to be tempting to add a 2nd one to the fleet!!

4s all the way...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Are you really thinking about buying a second one? Damn dude... You sound like Brad!

I'm trying to convince my oldest son (Dan) to get one. He might be able to make it to SELEM this year, and if he does he will certainly be joining us for the quad-copter racing in the field across the street from the venue. Would be cool to have a few of these same birds flying against one another...

Adam

Damn you, buffo...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Are you really thinking about buying a second one? Damn dude... You sound like Brad!

Adam
    Thinking about it, especially at that price.
    I'm really interested in getting into some freestyle flying ~
    but also aware that the first time I try diving under a big inviting oak tree, the tree will likely NOT get out of my way!!

I figure at some point in the foreseeable future a flat-out replacement might be cheaper and less painful than trying to rebuild.
    That, and I haven't upgraded laser gear in a while, so my hobby budget has a little bit of breathing room...almost!

Of course, if I could find a decent RGB 1 to 2-watt projector for the same price as a Vortex 285, the laser gear might increase...again...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I have had remarkably good fortune with regard to crashing my quads. I have yet to break anything really serious. (Well, except for the time I didn't have the battery monitor hooked up and ended up losing the entire bird to the dead river in Floirda...) Most of my crashes don't cause any damage at all, or at worst might result in a broken prop. I have never broken anything structural, nor have I broken any electronics.

That being said, the Vortex is a good bit faster than the quad I'm currently flying. Even with a 3S battery, I'm sure it will take me a while to get used to the extra power. I'll need to be sure to take it easy at first!

Adam

Looking forward to racing at SELEM.

Here it is on eBay a little cheaper with free shipping and a crash kit.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/131566390440?chn=ps&dispItem=1

My unit from Horizon Hobbies included most of the parts in the crash kit listed on that E-bay auction, and also included an extra set of props and prop washers.

I've flown my unit a few times, and it's very nice. Still getting a feel for it, but even with a 3S battery and stock props it is plenty fast. With 3 bladed props this thing will absolutely out-perform my old quad, and with a 4S battery I probably couldn't keep up with it. It's really quick!

The on-screen display unit is amazing. It has several different modes, including one that looks EXACTLY like the user interface for the game "Liftoff". (which is a quad-copter FPV racing simulator) It also has a display that mimics the heads-up display on a fighter jet! Currently I'm using the default display which reports battery voltage, current draw, total flight time, estimated flight time remaining, and most importantly: ALTITUDE. Man, having an altimeter is exactly what I needed...

I'm still testing out all the different built-in flight profiles on the flight controller, but at some point I need to hook it up to my PC so I can make my own profile. But first I have to flash the firmware to the latest version, and I don't feel like messing around with that just yet. (The controller is running CleanFlight V1.8.1, but the software is up to V2.0.3, which is why I have to upgrade.)

Gotta say though - this thing is sweet! Really flies nice, and it's got *all* the cool extras that I wish my other quad had...

Adam