Thread: Saturn 1B vrs Saturn 5 for 4mm beams

Default Saturn 1B vrs Saturn 5 for 4mm beams

Going to upgrade my Compact 506 scanners to Saturn scanners. I'm a little confused with deciding which model will work for my projector with 4mm beams.

The Saturn 1B says for 1mm - 4mm apertures. The Saturn 5 is for 4mm - 8mm apertures.

With my 4mm beams it looks like either will work. Which model is going to be best / fastest for my projector doing complicated graphics? There must be some difference between the 1B and the 5.

I would give Pangolin a call. I'm sure Bill or Ryan can answer that question with more detail than we can.

That being said, my understanding is that the Saturn 1's would be the faster pair, since they have smaller mirrors.

Adam

Smaller mirrors would for sure be faster. What I'm confused about is if there are different mirror sizes per model. I.E. does the Saturn 1B come with just one size mirror (for up to 4mm beams) or depending on the application are there multiple mirror sizes per model?

So if there are multiple mirror sizes per model, which would be faster? The Saturn 1B with 4mm mirrors, or the Saturn 5 with 4mm mirrors?

Hi Phredy,

Saturn 1B with 3mm aperture mirrors is 90K at 8 Degrees. Mirror set can scan up to 60 degrees without losses. This is for a 3.0mm round beam.

Saturn 5B with 5mm aperture mirrors is 60K at 8 degrees. Mirror set can scan 60 degrees horizontal and 40 degrees vertical with a 5mm round beam. With a 4mm beam (but the same 5mm mirrors) you can scan 60 degrees horizontal and 70 degrees vertical.

There is no point in going to a 4mm mirror set with Saturn 1B. Because of the heavier mirrors, The Saturn 1B can only scan perhaps 60K with these 4mm mirrors. But the Saturn 5B can scan 60K with the 5mm mirrors.

We only have 4 more XY mounts for Saturn 1B/4mm left and then it will be discontinued because there is no performance benefit.

We have never tested the Saturn 5B with 4mm mirrors, and I have not designed an XY mount for such a configuration.

Note that the scanners themselves are capable of 110 degree scanning. However, our typical mirrors and mounts are only designed for 60 degree scanning. If you want to scan wider, and do not care about some losses or clipping, then you can certainly scan wider. Just let us know, so we can tune the servo and mount the bumper properly.

I've linked a few videos below that we havent really promoted...

Saturn 1B scanning 72 x 92 degrees no losses... specially designed mirrors and mount
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMLEeUy0i6Y

"Whats in the box"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZYh...ature=youtu.be

I think we might have some Saturn 5B in stock... please contact us directly if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post

I think we might have some Saturn 5B in stock... please contact us directly if you are interested.

Thanks,

Well, does it means that you are actually selling Saturns to the unit?? I asked to buy them several times and answer was always NO...

Thanks Ryan! That was the answer I was looking for.

So, I need 5B with the 5mm mirrors, but you say there is no XY mounts available?

Now what? LOL

So, I need 5B with the 5mm mirrors, but you say there is no XY mounts available?

Now what? LOL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-28 13.02.49.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	52429

Hehe we have plenty of mounts in stock

Maybe I wasn't clear. There is no mount for Saturn 5B with 4mm mirror, and likely never will be. There is a Saturn 5B/5mm mount and Saturn 5B/6mm mount. We haven't done any testing with Saturn 5B with 4mm mirrors, and have no plans on doing so.

Well, does it means that you are actually selling Saturns to the unit?? I asked to buy them several times and answer was always NO...
    I don't have any say who they are and aren't sold to. There are certainly a lot of tire kickers but rarely hard PO's. Pricing is a bit higher than what most laser light show people want to pay anyways, thats why a lot are going to industrial... Production issues in the past was volume when it was only BB building them. In the first half of this year we have built and shipped more Saturns than we have in the last 3 years combined, majority to industrial and medical clients. Production is still not where we want it to be and there are growing pains, but it's coming along... We've hired a few more people, and actually had someone just start this week. BB is actually looking at a new manufacturing facility as we speak, so we can really step up production.
    Last edited by rns0504; 06-28-2017 at 09:31.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com