Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying....HIGH POWER Sma 400um fibers freestanding tip

Default Buying....HIGH POWER Sma 400um fibers freestanding tip

I have some Dilas Diodes and i need some good fibers. free standing tip SMA 400um with possibly a focus lens.

... where are you located?

I'm in Germany and have different glass fibers from 105µm to 800µm.

We're actaully starting a "forums project" here with fibercoupled 9Watt@975nm-diodes from IPG and drivers for them, where I have to cleave and/or polish the fiber ends ...

Viktor

Default USA

I have a couple of damaged fibers that I would love to rebuild if I knew a good method.
    Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... where are you located?

I'm in Germany and have different glass fibers from 105µm to 800µm.

We're actaully starting a "forums project" here with fibercoupled 9Watt@975nm-diodes from IPG and drivers for them, where I have to cleave and/or polish the fiber ends ...

Viktor

... what energies?

You can try with simple "cleaving" - find a super sharp knife (the small blades out of the manual 5x-shavers are pretty good), then "touch" the fiber with the cutting edge to make a small scratch -- and then bend it with the fingernail pressing from the opposite side, until it snaps - with a bit luck the fracture will be perpendicular and even.

I'm doing this regularly with fibercoupled 9Watt-diodes and 105µm-fibers, so should be feasible for 200µm-fibers and powers of up to 30 Watts too ...

Viktor

I have lots of fiber. Not sure of the specs but from High power systems such as LSDI scimitar projector with a Sabre, Laserscope KTPs, and many others .i will check the specs and get back to you asap.
    I am located in LA/Orng Cointy area.

Thanks for the information on the blades you use.
    What about the sma assembly? The ones I have are CUsma free standing tip, intended for 50w power. I believe they use a type of epoxy to secure the fiber?

I am interested in "scimitar projector with a sabre" do tell more!

There is a vendor on ebay who will sell you them, but he wants $200 a fiber which is basically the new cost. I have been using the coherent brand 800um AR coated fibers, since they have an 800um core the glue is plenty far away from the input coupled light and they seem to work fine. Plus since they are AR coated you get a bit more power. Example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Fiber-...wAAOSwLVZV7EgJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddestructo View Post
    What about the sma assembly? The ones I have are CUsma free standing tip, intended for 50w power. I believe they use a type of epoxy to secure the fiber?
    ... are your "free standing tips" like the fiber-bundle, attached to the bigger diode on the outer right side here? - http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Laserdioden_Alle.jpg

I'm normally inserting the "cleaved" (sometimes polished) fibers into a 1mm capilary with "wetting" it while inserting with 2K-glue to secure the fiber in the capilary ... then insert+glue the capilary into a SMA for 1mm fibers. Then no glue has to be on the fiber end.

Here are two pictures from diodes with shorted 105µm fibers, which I've inserted not into SMA adapters, but into drilled threaded rods with M5 threading for easer adjusting the focus heads:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112665.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	52503

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115466.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	52502

For the next tests I want to try with (heavy) glueing a fiber into a 125µm-SMA-plug and then polish the end of the SMA-plug with the inserted fiber (then the end even could be "contaminated" with the 2K-glue) - this is meant for higher powers like 25W to 60W to get better transparency at the fiber end ... with only "cleaving" I've already burnt two fiber-ends with powers at above 22 Wats and something above 25 Watts ... and will get some diodes with 60Watts out of a 105µm fiber ...

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddestructo View Post
    I am interested in "scimitar projector with a sabre" do tell more!
    The scimitar is a pretty extensible/configurable optical-table type projector made by LSDI. Sabre as in Coherent Innova Sabre; very nice large-frame ion laser that is capable of around 20-25W when running at factory spec. Available in a variety of configurations and gas fills. Once upon a time, they were the bee's knees for big shows