Thread: DMX help please

Default DMX help please

PL friends - I am doing laser show for a July 4th party. I bought a wireless DMX system to operate the laser from across a small lake. The wireless DMX works with my lighting console (on the right) with lights or mobolazer. But my laser console on the left does not work with wireless DMX (works with cable though). Why would my laser console work with cable but not wireless? I tried all the channels. I am stumped. Any pointers where to start troubleshooting? Maybe compare the DMX signals of each console? I have a scope, etc. Thank you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2707e.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	52511

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    PL friends - I am doing laser show for a July 4th party. I bought a wireless DMX system to operate the laser from across a small lake. The wireless DMX works with my lighting console (on the right) with lights or mobolazer. But my laser console on the left does not work with wireless DMX (works with cable though). Why would my laser console work with cable but not wireless? I tried all the channels. I am stumped. Any pointers where to start troubleshooting? Maybe compare the DMX signals of each console? I have a scope, etc. Thank you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2707e.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	52511

Short cable has signal pins reversed? Need a terminator plug on the cable?

Dmx is 250 kilobaud differential serial. The recievers either use an optocoupler or a line reciever chip intended for RS485. With care you can scope it, but look for a signal after the receiver circuit on the target board. A 120 ohm resistor in series with a red led or bicolor led works for a quickie check.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks Steve. i made a terminator and experimented with the polarity but no bueno. I'll control the laser projector with the lighting console for my show. It's all cheap chinese gear so incompatibility is not surprising.