Thread: advice on what truss system to get

Default advice on what truss system to get

After few years of hard work I was able afford to upgrade my laser and video projectors to more powerful ones. My work consists of moving the equipment to a venue, installing them on my tripods and running my custom made laser and video mapping shows.
    Since my old laser projectors (1W) and video projectors (5000 lumen) were not so heavy, around 30 lbs with their frames, I used ordinary speaker tripods for each which could handle around 180 lbs and made custom welded adapters and frames for the projectors. I attached the projector frames to the tripods on the ground and 2 of us could then raise the tripod, one holding the bottom side of the tripod one the attached frame. Then 2 people could adjust the height of the tripod in its standing position. All the parts were more than strong enough to handle the weights.

But now I've got 70 lbs projectors compared to the previous 30 lbs and they are much more expensive as well to afford damaging them, plus the weight is too much to rely on one tripod in my opinion even if we (there's still two of us) could install such heavy equipment.
    So I'm thinking of getting a better, stronger and easier to use truss/tripod system.

I'm currently considering a “crank-up truss system” for two main reasons:
    1) there's two tripods instead of one, more feet means more stability
    2) more importantly, the cranking system will allow to attach the projector frames or in case of laser the laser handle to the truss at a low level then raise the tripods with the cranks. No need to attach the equipment on the ground and raising the whole tripod from laying position to standing which I think is a very bad idea for these weights.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...crank-up+truss
    Anyone used these kind of truss systems and can give their opinion?

I know there are these square and triangle aluminum or steel arch shaped truss systems used for stage lighting and audio equipment but those are still a bit overkill for our job and our small business and also many venues we work with are too small and wouldn't want something taking up that much space just for 1-3 projectors.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes, a crank up system is going to be much preferred over the arch I think. We used an arch like that at SELEM several years ago and you still needed to get a ladder to hoist everything up and attach it. You're kind of limited on where the bases can go and therefore limited on where you can use it. With crank stands, you can adjust the width of the structure by adding or removing sections and.. you can also adjust for the height of the ceilings in whatever venue you are using it in.
    I went with Global Truss and have 3 - 8' sections of triangle, plus about a 5' and a 3' section for flexibility as well as a couple ST-132 stands. We've been using it at SELEM for about three years and have at times, loaded it with projectors. The one lesson we learned a couple years ago though is to distribute the weight between the back and front straight sections. Watching a few RTI Pikos with OPSL leaning forward like the Tower of Piza was disconcerting to say the least so we lowered it carefully and redistributed the weight. Box truss (square) I thought was overkill for my planned applications but is a bit more common to find.
    Oh... and trussing is an.. "investment". The prices will scare you.
    One other comment on looking at your link. Be careful that what you buy is an industry standard diameter. Buffo bought some like what you have in the pictures there and, it turns out a standard O clamp is too big.
    And another edit.... I have some Chauvet Trusst stuff too and, while it's ok, it's not as nice as Global Truss (or Duratruss or Tomcat, etc.)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 07-21-2017 at 13:30.
    PM Sent...

I ended up buying a Adam Hall SLSTRS 400. Reviews seem to be generally very good. And I'm surprised it is around $300 and can handle 100 kg at 3 meter length and max 3 meter height with 2 1.5 meter triangular (not flat) trusses which are included. I can do a review myself once I get it. Probably you can find better options in the US but for folks from Europe it ships from Germany very fast.
    Thanks for all the info and help.
    Last edited by Finale; 07-22-2017 at 02:09.

Might be a little too late, but what Brad said about using winches is good compared to fixed truss.
    Also look at what rental houses near you keep on stock.
    The time will come when you need to rent some extra in, so having someone local with compatible kit will pay dividends there.

Personally I'd have gone for some 'proper' 48mm truss instead of the DJ style stuff you've got. As Brad said, you've got small tube 38mm so won't be able to use standard clamps and couplers on it.
    This is where I started some years ago now, and I still make use of the truss and lifts now, as its compatible with all of the tri and quad truss I've bought since
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville...ter_bundle.htm
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Well what I bought is indeed a winch (crank-up) truss system, minimum height is 1.6m, max is 3.
    But you're right the stock tubes are indeed 38mm, however the stock tri trusses are replacable if ever needed and also Thomann sells many clamps for variety of tube sizes. Just couldn't beat the price.