Thread: Drones being shot down

Default Drones being shot down

Just saw this... Interesting.
    I guess because they are less expensive than a Predator Drone.
    https://wetalkuav.com/dji-drones-use...battle-marawi/

Jerry

See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Completely different "drones" for completely different purposes...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

And sometimes you don't even have to shoot them down - they crash all by themselves! Of course, that leads to problems for the operator...

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...-days-in-jail/

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    And sometimes you don't even have to shoot them down - they crash all by themselves! Of course, that leads to problems for the operator...

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...-days-in-jail/

Adam
    How was he reckless, by simply flying the drone (I presume the flying was legal here)? To my mind, he's only been reckless if he's broken the rules / law, flown it in a manner that was obviously reckless / dangerous eg deliberately swooped on the crowd, or done some other stupid act eg put a heavy SLR underneath on a drone meant to carry something light like GoPro. If he simply lost control because of mechanical issues or signal drop outs, I fail to see how that is anything other than an accident. The authorities need to realise that what goes up, also comes down, and just like aircraft, if something goes wrong with either the controller or drone, then drones can crash. That's the down side of allowing things to fly.
    Last edited by White-Light; 07-30-2017 at 22:22.

Intentionally flying drones over crowds is a HUGE no-go in the US, which is likely the reason behind the reckless endangerment charge.
    Their reliability - or lack of - is one of the many reasons crowd overflights with drones is not permitted.

Which is one of the many interesting hurdles the big commercial operators (Amazon, etc.) are going to have to overcome to ever get "drone deliveries" approved and operational here.
    Another one of their hurdles is going to be how to deal with all the "uninformed" drone hobbyists who frequently seem to bypass safety & common sense concerns before pushing the "fly" button, and could very easily wind up occupying the same airspace (intentionally or otherwise).
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-30-2017 at 15:52.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

That explains it. In the UK I'm not sure there's anything specific about crowds but I believe there's a minimum distance to people of around 150 feet. Is there a difference in the US between Commercial Operators and private?

If you are using a drone (more properly termed "Unmanned Aircraft System", or UAS) for commercial purposes in the Unites States, you are required to obtain a "Remote Pilot Airman Certificate", sometimes referred to as a Part 107 license, from the FAA. Hobbyists are exempt from this requirement, but hobbyists aren't being paid to shoot video of a parade either.

In addition, you can petition the FAA for an exemption to some of the restrictions stated in the part 107 regulation. However, getting an exemption to allow you to fly over crowds is difficult. As an example, the recent superbowl half-time show featured a bunch of drones flying in formation to create an image of the US Flag. That had to be pre-recorded, however, because they could not get FAA approval to do the stunt live over the crowd in the stadium.

As for the asshat in Seattle, he was a douche. Claims to be a professional yet does galactically stupid things like flying 300 ft in the air on a windy day with a critical battery alarm sounding... That sort of nonsense. He had been charged several times previously for breaking FAA rules, but since no one was injured in those previous cases the judges dismissed the charges. But this time they threw the book at him.

Given his past history and consistent pattern of reckless choices (flying in high wind conditions with underpowered aircraft especially), I actually am glad they gave him a harsh sentence. The guy has already had far too many second chances in my book.

Adam

Yeah... The Drone rules specifically state no flying over people..
    The Drone operator was a clueless idiot that thought he could
    get away with it. Glad they caught and prosecuted him.

These are the guys that make the Law Makers clamp down on
    RC Pilots that actually follow the rules and guidelines.

As Adam stated...
    Once you accept the first $0.01 to fly your UAV you become a
    Commercial RC pilot and are required to have a license.

There's no cure for Stupid....IMO

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions