Thread: LSX using the quadmod2000 in a .net box as a DAC

Default LSX using the quadmod2000 in a .net box as a DAC

Hi All
    I was tinkering around last night in my shop and decided to try using my Quadmod2000 as a DAC on the latest version of LSX. It took a re scan to find it but Viola, LSX found it I dragged it into timeline 1. I loaded a show and off it went. The only issue was it started to flash at various intervals during playback.

I had loaded the LDS demo show, which is complicated as a show can get with lots of tracks and effects so I thought well maybe it was just too much for it to handle the computer is on a wireless network not a hard connection with lots of bandwidth.

Next, I tried the Bangles Walk like an Egyptian, which is far less complicated. Same problem flashing at various intervals during the show just less of it than with the demo show file.

Before I go into my thoughts on what may be causing this problem, The Quadmod2000 works perfectly with the same projector, computer and network configuration (computer on wireless) when using it with Pangolin showtime. In addition, I have an Etherdream and a RIYA DAC and they work perfectly on the same computer with LSX.
    Thoughts:
    1. I did not mess around with settings in LSX. it was late and I get up at 5am so did not get a chance to mess with blanking ect… however this is an intermittent issue so I do not think settings would be the problem.
    2. Maybe the network is sending the packets as UDP instead of TCP and this is a QOS network issue? doubtful but possible.
    3. I may be incorrect here but this is how I think the Quadmod2000 works. When I load a show in Showtime, Pangolin asks do you want to load the associated frames? I click OK and it loads them.

Since the Quadmod2000 is not just a DAC but also an actual computer, I think it loads the frames into a memory buffer on the card. The whole show is cached on the Quadmod2000 and is played back independent of windows.
    This would probably rule out the UDP versus TCP idea unless it is sent a different way on LSX.

Could it be that LSX is sending the frames directly to the network though the quadmod2000 just using the DAC part of the board?

Well something is causing the problem and as I am no expert in how the Quadmod2000 works opposed to the other aforementioned DACs, these are all just educated guesses at this point.

Thoughts from the forum? Anyone else out there experienced the same issue?
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:
    https://dreamcasterlasershows.com/

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

LSX just uses the qm2k as a point streamer. it doesn't load frames into the onboard memory.

try switching from wireless to a wired network and let me know if that makes a difference. i have a qm2k.net that i haven't used in a few years. i can dig it out and do some testing if you encounter the same problems after switching to a wired network setup. personally, i would never recommend using a wireless setup for laser show systems.

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    Hi All
    I was tinkering around last night in my shop and decided to try using my Quadmod2000 as a DAC on the latest version of LSX. It took a re scan to find it but Viola, LSX found it I dragged it into timeline 1. I loaded a show and off it went. The only issue was it started to flash at various intervals during playback.

I had loaded the LDS demo show, which is complicated as a show can get with lots of tracks and effects so I thought well maybe it was just too much for it to handle the computer is on a wireless network not a hard connection with lots of bandwidth.

Next, I tried the Bangles Walk like an Egyptian, which is far less complicated. Same problem flashing at various intervals during the show just less of it than with the demo show file.

Before I go into my thoughts on what may be causing this problem, The Quadmod2000 works perfectly with the same projector, computer and network configuration (computer on wireless) when using it with Pangolin showtime. In addition, I have an Etherdream and a RIYA DAC and they work perfectly on the same computer with LSX.
    Thoughts:
    1. I did not mess around with settings in LSX. it was late and I get up at 5am so did not get a chance to mess with blanking ect… however this is an intermittent issue so I do not think settings would be the problem.
    2. Maybe the network is sending the packets as UDP instead of TCP and this is a QOS network issue? doubtful but possible.
    3. I may be incorrect here but this is how I think the Quadmod2000 works. When I load a show in Showtime, Pangolin asks do you want to load the associated frames? I click OK and it loads them.

Since the Quadmod2000 is not just a DAC but also an actual computer, I think it loads the frames into a memory buffer on the card. The whole show is cached on the Quadmod2000 and is played back independent of windows.
    This would probably rule out the UDP versus TCP idea unless it is sent a different way on LSX.

Could it be that LSX is sending the frames directly to the network though the quadmod2000 just using the DAC part of the board?

Well something is causing the problem and as I am no expert in how the Quadmod2000 works opposed to the other aforementioned DACs, these are all just educated guesses at this point.

Thoughts from the forum? Anyone else out there experienced the same issue?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hi Chris

That was the next test I was going to try I will try it and let you know how it works. If you are going to Selem I will see you there.

Best
    M
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

great. let me know how things work. i will see you at selem!

Hi Chris

That was the next test I was going to try I will try it and let you know how it works. If you are going to Selem I will see you there.

Best
    M
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Also agree about the network never on a job I like playing around with wireless at home it's been pretty stable.
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

I have heard lots of people complain of issues with QM2000 boards in .net boxes on wireless networks. Pangolin actually recommends that you NOT use wireless networking for the .net box, even if it does appear to work when you first set it up.

If you still have a problem with a wired ethernet connection, then there is something else going on. I have used a QM2000 inside a desktop successfully with LSX (I was one of the beta-testers for this), so it should work just as well with a .net enclosure.

Adam

Hi Adam
    Yep that was the problem much more stable after hooking up the CAT6 to the switch.

M
    Dreamcaster Multimedia
    Visit our website:

great to know!

thanks.

Hi Adam
    Yep that was the problem much more stable after hooking up the CAT6 to the switch.

M