Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse Anyone?

NICE shots count!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I arranged for 95 University staff and graduate students, a few undergrads, and some visiting construction workers to have a nice view here. At the last minute, 9AM, I went to the welding shop, found a "Sold Out" sign on the door, but went in anyways and asked for glass. All they had was #6 and #9 shades.. But at 1.25$ a piece.. OD adds, so it was a no brainer to buy the 9s and stack them, works great, and at 9:20 I sent out the email. I had no idea it was so popular, and the professors asked me to come down early to start the viewing.
    ~
    A couple of pairs of two #9 welding glass plates in series did the trick nicely, passed them around. Much better then those coated film glasses, which were very rare around here.
    ~
    Whenever the students would moan about our few moving clouds blocking the Sun, I'd shout, "If your going to complain, The Sun extends an angle of around 9.3 milliradians, calculate the width and velocity of the Cloud!" , to groans and smiles. We are a Engineering College after all....
    ~
    10$ of closeout sale welding glass, verified for its optical density, priceless... Beautiful weather, even more so.
    ~
    Guy in welding shop moaning about my getting last glass, sobbing, as they had long ago sold out of #13 and #14 shades, as in months ago.. I then asked him what he needed and if he knew how to make a pinhole camera, he watched my drawing, and then said.... I quote "Thanks, Sir, but that's not my problem... I actually need to weld today", to roars of laughter from everyone in the weld shop. Their phone was ringing off the hook.... Dark glass was in very short supply.. Bet you tomorrow on Ebay you can find some real deals on slightly used welding helmets..
    ~
    Today was a blast... even the Secretaries were cooking hotdogs... The really cool thing was the shadow images thru the tree leaves.

~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-21-2017 at 13:59.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

We got 96% in Raleigh. It was cool but it didn't get as dark as I expected.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i didn't have a fancy setup, but i still got some nice shots from my patio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eclipse-02.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	52722
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Like it!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I got to see about 1/4 of the sun covered briefly. I didn't bother trying to get glasses but between looking through my sunglasses, up through the sunroof of my car and a thin layer of clouds you could comfortably see the blacking out of part of the sun. I'm very happy for those of you that invested time and money to travel to places to view it, that you had the opportunity. Sounds like most people had clear weather and the view they came for. ��
    PM Sent...

The view from Orlando through my Meade 114 mm reflector. We only got 88% coverage here, but still really cool!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170821_145811.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	52723

I was lucky enough to be a short 80 minute drive away from the path of totality, so the wife, child and I went out to Newbury, SC (in the middle of nowhere) and hung out on a farm. We had a long 2.5 minute full eclipse where we were. Thankfully, I had a battery powered laser projector, PC, USB powered DAC and a show from Swamidog with me . . so . .

(I'm sure Swamidog will shudder at the trails, but for a battery powered projector running off of 12V, I thought it did a reasonable job running a show at 30Kpps.)

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I was in Newbury also.

Cool eclipse

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I was lucky enough to be a short 80 minute drive away from the path of totality, so the wife, child and I went out to Newbury, SC (in the middle of nowhere) and hung out on a farm. We had a long 2.5 minute full eclipse where we were. Thankfully, I had a battery powered laser projector, PC, USB powered DAC and a show from Swamidog with me . . so . .

(I'm sure Swamidog will shudder at the trails, but for a battery powered projector running off of 12V, I thought it did a reasonable job running a show at 30Kpps.)

-David
    i'm totality (get it?) wincing at the projection quality, but overjoyed and honored at what you did.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.