Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost FB4 Case

Default Low Cost FB4 Case

Hey Folks!

This is a very quick project I thought I'd share since I haven't seen many FB4 custom case builds.

I purchased my first FB4 Max card last month and as I didn't want to install it into a specific projector, I needed some sort of case. Pangolin offers a few case options for the FB4, but not an option for the FB4 Max, so I built my own in a day. It utilizes this case which sells for US$17 with free shipping in the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5033.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	52850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5041.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	52851 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5036.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	52852

The build is fairly compact as the DMX and ILDA daughterboards take up some space, but was adequate for the job. As usual, I used only my jigsaw, drill press and metal files. (Some day I need to buy a proper mill) So far, things appear to be working correctly.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Cool build, great use of a cheaper alternative, aha... Their case is a little expensive.

Also, didn't know you joined the dark side. Welcome

Thanks, Kang! No, I haven't officially joined the dark side unless you count QS. Migrating to Beyond with 8+ FB4s is still a ~$9K cost that I just can't commit to yet. I'm just a hobbyist!

-David

It will become much harder to show my content at your place if you have 8 FB4s. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Thanks, Kang! No, I haven't officially joined the dark side unless you count QS. Migrating to Beyond with 8+ FB4s is still a ~$9K cost that I just can't commit to yet. I'm just a hobbyist!

-David
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Hey Folks!

This is a very quick project I thought I'd share since I haven't seen many FB4 custom case builds.

I purchased my first FB4 Max card last month and as I didn't want to install it into a specific projector, I needed some sort of case. Pangolin offers a few case options for the FB4, but not an option for the FB4 Max, so I built my own in a day. It utilizes this case which sells for US$17 with free shipping in the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5033.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	52850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5041.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	52851 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5036.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	52852

The build is fairly compact as the DMX and ILDA daughterboards take up some space, but was adequate for the job. As usual, I used only my jigsaw, drill press and metal files. (Some day I need to buy a proper mill) So far, things appear to be working correctly.

-David
    Hey!! ... you bought something I don't have. You'll be able to dance around singing "nanny nanny boo boo" for some time I think.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    It will become much harder to show my content at your place if you have 8 FB4s. Just saying.
    No worries, I wouldn't remove any current capabilities in such a scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    You'll be able to dance around singing "nanny nanny boo boo" for some time I think.
    I'm not about to start comparing the size of our . . equipment piles.

-David

I could be totally wrong but you should only have to upgrade 1 FB4 to beyond then be able to use the others units under that one licence.

As long as the licence one is connected/active beyond will start,

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes but.... you can't use just 1 FB4 to run Beyond and then use Etherdreams for all the other DAC's to the other projectors. You need Pangolin hardware for every projector and David runs several projectors in his environment all with separate content. He could buy 1 FB4 with just one Beyond license but then would have to buy a bunch of FB3's or QM2000's in .net boxes or, FB4's so, a changeover gets cost prohibitive.
    edit.... But that "does" beg the question, David. Why did you buy an FB4??
    PM Sent...

Oh, i see.

I thought it was an issue of having pango DAC's in place, and it was purely an issue of needing to bounce from QS to Beyond.

Yeah, thanks Brad for explaining. The cost of migrating to a dual software environment has decreased to about $8k for me but that is still a tough pill to swallow. That said, I'm a massive Pangolin hardware junkee and hope to work out something with Bill or Justin for software in the coming year. It sure is nice that the cost of lasering has become semi-affordable as compared with a decade ago!

David