Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting kind of thin on real posts

Building on the low end and other control lines, having a way to assign the other control lines to the low end so you can do separate color balance with them would be nice too. Now you get totally separate color pallet control between the high and low power diodes.. maybe use the DMX output for the areafills?

Wow! Great ideas.

Thanks...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Another idea though not new. Have the ability to map a pico projector with the laser to do the shading and area fills.

With really good brightness control we could do stuff that looks like charcoal pencil drawings of course limited by the ability to add points. Perspective shading on lines. Of course now we are blurring the purity of color that dazzles that comes with laser. But it's a new pallet to add to the existing.

Off to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Got a second idea. Add in diodes that are out of focus to do area fills. You need to use some of the unused ilda color channels. Not sure how you do that in the drawing software since that function does not exist...are listening Bill...
    No mechanical system needed. It's all combining and software. We only use three channels and six exist. Ways to assign these functions would be a new way to innovate.
    Lots of good ideas here, Kecked! I have already had a go with this idea with my glow in the dark projectors. What I did was use a tight 405nm diode for blue, a slightly out of focus 405nm for soft fills on the green channel and a deep red or IR diode to erase the glow in the dark from strontium aluminate or zinc sulfide paint respectively. The same could be applied to visible wavelengths as you described, but you could accomplish this without assistance from software changes by building a duo-projector with two DACs controlling them. This is my approach for Project 1 that I described in my earlier post. Then you just need your target zones aligned properly. Beyond does an excellent job aligning multiple projectors and other packages like LSX can do so decently.

By combining out of focus with the in focus, you might be able to get by with two DACs and only one set of galvos. This assumes your two DACs are being told they are drawing the same thing in exact time.

This said, it would be nicer to have control over all six channels from the software / DACS as you described.

Now stop stealing my ideas already, you mind-reader!

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Oh and in regards to the other idea, yeah Video projectors might work but you’d need really good contrast ratios to keep it from being distracting. Why don’t we see more video and laser combined content, I wonder?

I also like your low end single mode combined with a higher power multi-mode. That said, would the average beam show audience member appreciate the effort?

David

For me it's mostly been a lack of free time combined with the convienience of Facebook. It's not easy to post here from a phone and except for working on a panel or circuit board design I rarely turn on my computer anymore. My free time is typically from 10pm to about 3am, it's about the only time I can sit down and concentrate on laser stuff without being disturbed. Even then I'll get the occasional callout from work.

When I have something I find interesting and want to share it's much easier to just throw it up on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    we need better color mixing ...
    My latest project is still a good bit away from completion but here's a quick teaser. What this device does can be done much easier (and cheaper) and more complex digitally but this is done 100% analog. It's basically a color organ for lasers. Audio drives the rgb signals. I'll also include a video of it in action, I recorded the video right before Irma hit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3929.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	52956

I try to work on Spaghetti daily, whether it is in the form of research or coding. I just don't post about it much anymore.

I have lost interest on the hardware side of things, for the most part. I'd like to have my own DAC, though.

Zeiss makes a video projector with a 2.5 million to one native contrast...

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Oh and in regards to the other idea, yeah Video projectors might work but you’d need really good contrast ratios to keep it from being distracting. Why don’t we see more video and laser combined content, I wonder?

I also like your low end single mode combined with a higher power multi-mode. That said, would the average beam show audience member appreciate the effort?

David
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    For me it's mostly been a lack of free time combined with the convienience of Facebook. It's not easy to post here from a phone and except for working on a panel or circuit board design I rarely turn on my computer anymore. My free time is typically from 10pm to about 3am, it's about the only time I can sit down and concentrate on laser stuff without being disturbed. Even then I'll get the occasional callout from work.

When I have something I find interesting and want to share it's much easier to just throw it up on FB.

My latest project is still a good bit away from completion but here's a quick teaser. What this device does can be done much easier (and cheaper) and more complex digitally but this is done 100% analog. It's basically a color organ for lasers. Audio drives the rgb signals. I'll also include a video of it in action, I recorded the video right before Irma hit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3929.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	52956
    Nice, DZ! Speaking of the joys of analog, a PL member in the chatroom pointed me to this the other day:

-David

Oh god I want one of those video toasters on steroids! Yea I never tried video with laser cuz I just didn't. The point of this thread was just see if there is any life left. Looks like there is.

I don't care if an audience notices the extras in my art. It's the art for arts sake. I understand those in this for money but then there are those of us who do it for the love of the effort. Sears wall hanging verses starry starry night....

If anyone tries to marry the high and low power diodes please let me know. I'm long on ideas and short on ability to make them real.