Thread: 90degree rotated output and problems playing ILDA files over 800 points.

Default 90degree rotated output and problems playing ILDA files over 800 points.

Hi All, I've wanted at ILDA laser for ages having played with lasers since building a he-ne back in 1985 and getting an Argon Ion air colled laser a few years back. My budget only allowed for a used Chinese RGY unit which I think has 12k galvos (the manual says to send ILDA files at no more than 15kpps). It plays the built in patterns via DMX without any issues, but with ILDA (using the Helios DAC) I am having a few problems.

Simple patterns play just fine, but anything with more than about 800 points seems to be a struggle (I'm using Lasershowgen software), I've tried playing a few ILDA files I found online and in most cases nothing at all happens, neither does the output light on the Helios DAC light up. In the software the number of points turns red at about 800, is that the maximum amount of points possible with my galvos?

I downloaded the ILDA test pattern which plays as a complete mess, so I'm guessing the galvos are out of tune, it does however play the built in patterns just fine. As I have no idea who the manufacturer of the galvos is I can't find any instructions as to which pots do what, so am not keen to mess with them.

The other issue is everything sent by ILDA is rotated by 90 degrees counter clockwise. Is this an easy fix?

swap the x & y signals to rotate 90 degrees. 800 points 18.75 times a second is 15kpps...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Thank you Laserist!

I was being stupid and hadn't done the maths, by dropping the frame rate down from the default 30fps the ILDA files played. Its seems that indeed I have 15kpps galvos. I'll have a go at swapping x & y, there doesn't seem to be a software option for that so I'll have to have a look at swapping the connectors.

For imported ILDA files that are already optimized, you can try disabling the optimization in LaserShowGen, or checking the button "only optimize between objects", that might make them play better. I can add an option for a future version to swap X and Y, meanwhile you can rotate it 90 degrees manually in the editor mode but that's admittedly a bit clumsy only for playback.

Hello Grix, I've swapped the wires over coming off the ILDA board which gave me the correct orientation. I'm really enjoying using your software and finding is easy to create ILDA patterns. Is there a way to make text scroll?

BTW, the Helios DAC arrived very quickly to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by 488nm View Post
    Hello Grix, I've swapped the wires over coming off the ILDA board which gave me the correct orientation. I'm really enjoying using your software and finding is easy to create ILDA patterns. Is there a way to make text scroll?

BTW, the Helios DAC arrived very quickly to the UK.
    Good to hear.

You can make text scroll by manually animating it to move from one side to another, but there is no automatic scrolling text tool yet, sorry.