Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldenstar or Lightspace?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

If I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't currently own 17 of them.
    I have projectors from other manufacturers as well and, "bang for the buck", Lightspace has proved hard to beat. That's not intended to take anything away from Goldenstar, Kvant, or any of the others I have. I'm currently lusting over a couple of models from X-Laser (Mobile Beat Mirage for a single mode diode projector and, the 5 watt HPX Tours) and they are worth a look although, they are going to be pricier that what you are considering.
    (Yes... my dumb ass really does have 17. With an 18th probably in the works. )
    PM Sent...

17, WOW!
    What do you do with them? Rent?

Anyways, I want to throw in a Kvant 2000 as an additional option. I believe kvant projectors area amazing? I like the Scanner Max system inside, and the graphics seem like they should be top notch?

No, just an addict. Who finds it hard to let go of anything. Rumor has it that, “He who dies with the most toys...” or something like that.
    Now you are talking. Yes. Get the Kvant. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to smile.

Edit: Should you later decide this laser insanity is not for you, the resale value on the Kvant will be much higher as well.
    PM Sent...

I would heed Brad's advice about getting a varianced projector.

As for your choices, I don't see the Starburst 3000 as a product so I can't tell the relative powers. The red power on your Goldenstar link seems a bit weak as compared with the green/blue, but that's common as red is the most expensive these days. DT-50 galvos are better suited for graphics as they are faster, but they won't scan as wide as the PT-A40 (which is more suited for beam shows). Personally, I'd get a set of PT-40Pros or DT-40Pros/DT-50 pros put into the Lightspace projector. They should be able to accommodate you with one of those options.

Again, make sure you understand all the costs involved with each vendor including shipping.

Best of luck with your purchase!

-David

<Edit: The Kvant's are definitely the luxury model. The question is, do you want to pay 3x more for the Audi sports-car or is a mid range car more appropriate for your budget/needs.>
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

But it is not three times the price when compared to a Lightspace projector, its more like 1/3 more expensive. You would still recommend going with a Lightspace model?

The difference between 1mrad and 1.2mrad is as likely to be down to marketing or rounding of numbers as it is actual divergence differences.
    In this price range they're all doing a similar thing with correction of the same diodes, so they're all going to come out roughly the same, whether the numbers on the spec sheet say that or not.

Bear in mind both companies will build to your spec if you ask. Certainly Goldenstar (because I deal mainly with them/Winni still) will put in your scanner of choice, or swap for different wavelengths on diodes (e.g. 462 instead of 445)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I would like to buy from Goldenstar but am worried about Customs taking it. You wouldn't be concerned with this possibility?

Norty is in the UK. He doesn't have the same variance issues like we do in the US. If you are considering ever using the projector outside of your home, you want to get one that's varianced.

If the price of an equivalent Kvant (including all shipping and other charges) is only 1/3 more than the Lightspace, I'd get the Kvant personally.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

not 1/3. 3x.

"the myth of the killer ape is true"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Norty is in the UK. He doesn't have the same variance issues like we do in the US. If you are considering ever using the projector outside of your home, you want to get one that's varianced.

If the price of an equivalent Kvant (including all shipping and other charges) is only 1/3 more than the Lightspace, I'd get the Kvant personally.

-David
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Keep in mind that, you CAN get a model from Goldenstar, you simply need to buy it from VJ AIWAZ as he is the US agent for Goldenstar and can legally import, make necessary modifications and certify it for you. Same as Walt is the US agent for Lightspace. What I was warning against is you trying to buy direct from China and having it get caught in customs since they are becoming more and more wary to projectors coming into the US. The flood of non compliant projectors that were sold on eBay and, other crackdowns has their radar up for such things and, you don't want the risk of it being confiscated.
    Simply put, lasers are heavily regulated devices. They can, if improperly used or built, cause injury to people or property. They fall under the watch of the FDA into a category of radiological devices since lasers are also heavily used in the medical, scientific and industrial field. Honestly, laser geeks putting on shows for entertainment is the pimple on the ass of a much broader scope and I'm sure they wish we'd just go away, just as much as we wish we didn't have to adhere to the same requirements as medical and laboratory lasers but.... we do. So, it boils down to if you have any aspirations of using a laser for public performance, you have certain steps and rules you need to follow or otherwise subject yourself to potential fines/lawsuits whatever, if you get caught or worse, have an accident. If you were never going to do anything more than build one to have it in the privacy of your own home, for your own personal enjoyment of programming and watching shows (not unlike dkumpula), then, in theory you should be able to do that. The catch 22 is, build it. If you buy it and you're in the US, then it still needs to be a compliant variance projector. The SELLER then needs to make sure, in order to sell it to you in the first place, that you have a show variance. Of course, the next thing out of your mouth is, "but I'm not doing it for public shows." Well. Right. But... in order to sell it to you, you need to have one - or have the seller help you obtain one. The GOOD thing in that, is that once you have a variance and a piece of varianced equipment, should you ever decide to do something publicly, you've taken the proper legal steps and you don't have to look over your shoulder for a fire marshal, or CDRH agent or, legal laserist looking to report you if you're doing something unsafe.
    Imagine if you will, that we take the word "laser" out of the equation and put "pyrotechnics" in its place. Would it make more sense if you're going to shoot off fireworks that, you should be licensed and be using reputable fireworks in a safe manner? That's sort of the same analogy here in the good ol' USA. The rest of the world tends to be less restrictive for the most part although, there are countries where you can't have them at all and, even states within the US that are more restrictive than the federal requirements.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 11-14-2017 at 09:04.
    PM Sent...