Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: newb alert

Just to add my two cents.

Etherdream 2 (Currently available) has DMX built in to the board so no extra board to buy. I am currently using an Etherdream 2 to send DMX signals to a DMX to Analog voltage converter to control my lumia. I have also played around with using the same DMX signal to control lighting effects but that was more a proof of concept before I built the Lumia rig. I am using LSX for my programming software. As many have mentioned the software is not for everyone but for me I love that I can program at the mathematical level using expressions. The DMX controls are as simple as dropping a DMX event on the timeline, defining which channel and value to send. The duration of the command is how long you extend the event on the timeline. You can also do more complex things with expressions (code). I am currently working on a project to do Live Abstract controls using LSX. LSX expressions (code) also supports conditional statements, variables, time jumps, MIDI, Joysticks, DMX etc. so it is very powerful for the price point.

LSX continued to sweep ILDA awards for abstracts this year. 1st place Saltyrobot (Jason Salt) 2nd & 3rd Swamidog (Chris Short).

Welcome to the community,
    Salty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2631.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	53211
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Question for Jason - us in the Pangolin crowd have had issues with the sliders on the APC Mini (jitters and lost communication) - I see you've built one into your control station. Has it been playing nicely with LSX? I would assume so since you've taken the time to build it in.
    PM Sent...

This is a bit of a tangent so apologies in advance.

I spent yesterday with the X-Laser crowd at LDI yesterday and was amazed at the lighting console control options being introduced for those coming from a traditional lighting background that want to control their lasers with this frame of mind and integration with typical DMX lighting. It isn’t really meant for traditional pre-choreographed laser graphics shows (best of breed there is clearly Pangolin’s Beyond and an FB4 controller.). I am not saying any of this is a replacement for the timeline or Live control options most of us laserist types use today, but it does provide a robust path for lighting designers to integrate lasers into their world. Note that there are a twenty-fold more lighting guys than laserists so the possible mid to long term impact on lasering is exciting. I can’t do this new approach/opportunity justice typing on my phone, so expect to hear more going forward. Fun times.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I use lighting software for my DMX lighting needs and traditional laser software for that end with integrated DMX control of anything laser related (Lumina, ILDA switches, etc.). It’s an approach that works well for me.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

This pilgrimage to LDI by so many people I know, leads me to think that while I never thought I'd have an interest in going, I probably need to give it consideration. Anxious to hear everyone's reports.

Edit: (But not in this poor guys thread. )
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    This pilgrimage to LDI by so many people I know, leads me to think that while I never thought I'd have an interest in going, I probably need to give it consideration. Anxious to hear everyone's reports.

Edit: (But not in this poor guys thread. )
    I agree with you Brad. I feel like I am missing out by not going to LDI.

As for the APC mini. I am still putting it to the test. I have not noticed any issues with the sliders. I have never lost communication in the middle of Live content. I am having an issue when I press a button LSX goes to the proper pattern but still displays the old pattern. I am attributing this to an LSX issue and not an APC mini issue. The MIDI signal is being sent correctly. Also bare in mind this is my first project dealing with MIDI so I am going through a learning curve. Overall though I am really excited with this project. It is going to be something super fun to play with in Club SELEM. I am also considering selling this setup with my patterns to anyone who has LSX but we are a long way from that. And I am not sure anyone would want to buy something like this.

APC mini is what I could afford when I bought it several months ago. I recently bought QS so I can do a side by side at some point to see if I see the same issue described. I will report back in a separate thread down the road.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

well i'm starting to think network cable into dac and ilda out will do what i need. i miiight not need dmx.

so i just open a socket to the dac or do i need to use whatever OSC is.

also feel free to put whatever you like in this thread.

i never stay on topic, and i'm fine with nobody else staying on topic too !!

so laser, dac, usb=>network interface for my dang laptop and start writing code...
    i wanna get my midi sequencer to a better form of done.
    trying to make some GOOD videos so i can explain it's weirdness.
    I expect I'll start buying after christmas which will probably be a short process.
    then start coding and see how far i get ))

My midi sequencer gets top prio. But I feel the pull of the laserzzz ... But Christmas season is tough to get ANYthing "done" in.
    So expect to hear back from me around dec 27.

well, if not before. you know...

Wow, thanks for the very kind words everyone.

The advice these guys gave you is exactly why I suggested you come here Stephen. It's truly a community of like minded people just helping to do awesome things with laser. While FB3 and FB4 are my tool of choice, the Etherdream and LSX offer tons of flexibility for a sharp software person for sure.

You're going to fit in great here, these are some of my favorite people in the world and they're all damn talented in several ways. To help you get a start in the community, I'm going to give you an etherdream 2 for free, like any good drug dealer would. Email me and we'll get it shipped monday

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhazel View Post

so i just open a socket to the dac or do i need to use whatever OSC is.
    Just open a socket to the DAC. You can't send frames to the Etherdream over the OSC protocol, only using its custom protocol. (I think? Not familiar with the features of the Etherdream v2). But you can control the Etherdream via OSC: DMX output, geometrical correction, colour correction, status check and so on.

However you can send laser frames into LSX over the OSC protocol. Which can then send them to Etherdream with the Etherdream protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    To help you get a start in the community, I'm going to give you an etherdream 2 for free, like any good drug dealer would. Email me and we'll get it shipped monday
    An extremely generous offer from X Laser USA. Nice one guys.

(BTW to the OP, if buying X-Laser beware another company called X-Laser form the far east as these aren't related and produce a projector that I believe doesn't comply with US Regulations. It's X-Laser USA you want for X-Laser products).

Well looky at DAT. Yeah I'm pretty sure that is DEFINITELY the laser i want and the DAC i want.

I'm emailin' Adam back alright.

We'll see if it's the $1380 price plus free DAC.

How much wiggle room do these laser companies have on price, guys?

If I can't get more than $50 off of that, eh, I don't care. But if I can get a couple hundred off, I do care.

And I'm pretty sure you guys know what with all these laser videos I been watchin

But regardless. This is a one time thing. I'm sure I'll never need another laser product.
    I won't change. I know what I'm doin'. I can handle this. This won't become a problem for meee...