Thread: pico projector -> galvo scanner

Default pico projector -> galvo scanner

Here me out, I thought of something cool I hope that shouldn't cost much to make and is pretty cool.
    So I initiailly got a PicoBit pico projector to check if the optical engine suited a specific commercial project I had in mind and the resolution and brightness just didn't cut it and I found a better alternative later.
    Now my PicoBit is sitting in my bedroom and I use it to project notebook to the wall at night which is so less eye straining and easier to look at. But most of the time it's collecting dust doing nothing.

Here's an interesting halloween idea. There's still long till the next one but maybe others will have a different use for it.
    Since the projection beam is mere 1mm at the actual aperture and about 3mm at the protective aperture glass and thedivergence of the projection is 45 degrees, can't we use regular laser scanner mirrors to direct the projection anywhere in the room? Since it doesn't have to scan a single beam but just serve as a mirror director not faster than your eye movement we could probably even mod $50 15kpps Goldenstar scanners with bigger mirrors and scan them very slow.

Things that come to mind could be sued for: fairies, will-o-wisps, exposing fake sections on the wall which arent there. You could do this with a cheap video projector but the resolution difference will be huge and I assume the effect will be very convincing.

At extreme scan angles will probably warp the graphics too much but for something like 30 diagonal angle should be fine.

What do you guys think? Worth a try or is there an obstacle to this idea I haven't thought about?

Reason I thought of galvos is they are still faster and quieter than servo and stepper. If there are other accurate motors do let know.

EDIT: this should give an ideaalthough the position of the projector will be static and hopefully I don't need to rotate it by hand.
    Last edited by Yerkat; 11-19-2017 at 04:48.