Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is advanced training necessary to construct a microchip laser?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

We make "dummy load" devices out of stacks of fast power rectifier diodes, often with a little series resistance. LDs often have hundreds of Megahertz to Gigahertz bandwidths.. The oscope may or may not catch the destructive surge. It's that fast.

Very, very, careful design is needed.
    In my case the current supply is designed so the external control loop opamps are powered and stable long before power is even applied to the current loop. poles and zeros matter. Commercial drivers are not that expensive.

You will find fools publishing designs using large series resistors, often inductive ones, for fiber coupled laser current sources. Beware. [Note, for tiny diodes, the lm317 regulator in constant current scheme is known to have a clean startup, just don't put a potentiometer in as a current control, as the wiper of a potentiometer often lifts as its turning"]

Non-inductive current sense resistors in the tail of the voltage controlled current source are important. I'm not so sure I'd trust Spice for this, most opamp models are not covering the startup state of the opamps internal current sources/sinks.
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-07-2023 at 18:48.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Deleted for Laser safety Reasons...

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-15-2023 at 12:11.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

... you can find some more relevant information and a simple "high current" driver with parallel LM317 and LM338 here - https://reprap.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Notes

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by preWarp View Post
    Hello. I have little experience with construction of my own lasers. I would like to build a microchip laser. It is a special type of solid state laser. I am wondering what training I would need to succeed in building a microchip laser. Let me give you some background on myself. I have taken basic courses in electronics. I have an Oscilloscope and DC Power Supply. A CNC machine is forthcoming. I am confident that I could build a xenon flashlamp pumped ND:YAG solid state laser. I have a book with designs by Iannnini.

However, it seems that the microchip laser differs drastically from the basic solid state laser concept. The best information is by professional organizations and is written for post graduate students. However, there are several such sources.

I am wondering if one really does need to take several courses in photonics just to understand the construction of the microchip laser.

What impacts the cost of a microchip laser? What might be an affordable Nd:YAG based diode pumped microchip laser, regardless of power in joules?

Looking to enhance your laser projects? Consider the Monport laser! It's renowned for its user-friendly interface, high-quality performance, and affordability. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned enthusiast, the Monport laser is a great choice. Check out the Monport laser product on their website (https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3) and take your laser projects to the next level!

Looking to enhance your laser projects? Consider the Monport laser! It's renowned for its user-friendly interface, high-quality performance, and affordability. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned enthusiast, the Monport laser is a great choice. Check out the Monport laser product on their website (fff.com) and take your laser projects to the next level!