Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Rebuilding my old analog console

For the past weeks I have just been playing around with the circuits to see how things interact and what various waveforms do to the image. I'm hesitant to put anything together yet until all the pieces/effects are built. At that point put a plan together on how to attach things. I've gotten really good info from this forum on how others have done this and thank you for that.

Currently:
    4423 oscillators work well
    Fixed cycloids working well (does not include the PDM sigal)
    Arduino driven solid state relay board for signal selection is demonstrated
    KQO working well
    AD633 as VCAs working for AM
    Summing Amps working well
    Scan amps are good enough for now

Next I would really like to add the SPGN effects (which I think includes Diamond Spirals and the offset Spiral tubes) . I know that Greg has done this on his threads, but it doesn't seem to be documented. Any support or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

video, or it didn't happen... thems the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevint View Post
    For the past weeks I have just been playing around with the circuits to see how things interact and what various waveforms do to the image. I'm hesitant to put anything together yet until all the pieces/effects are built. At that point put a plan together on how to attach things. I've gotten really good info from this forum on how others have done this and thank you for that.

Currently:
    4423 oscillators work well
    Fixed cycloids working well (does not include the PDM sigal)
    Arduino driven solid state relay board for signal selection is demonstrated
    KQO working well
    AD633 as VCAs working for AM
    Summing Amps working well
    Scan amps are good enough for now

Next I would really like to add the SPGN effects (which I think includes Diamond Spirals and the offset Spiral tubes) . I know that Greg has done this on his threads, but it doesn't seem to be documented. Any support or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Laserium’s spiral used a nice little circuit that generated a linear waveform that would ramp up and ramp down at a rate determined by 0-10V signals called “in” and “out”. (Because that’s what the image does…) A third 0-10V signal called Sweep could be summed to either the x or y axis. (Not both at the same time.) As you approached max sweep the image on the axis the sweep is summed to clips as it hits the power supply rail until at Max sweep the only signal getting to the scanner is the sweep voltage ramping in and out by the spiral ramp. (The axis not getting the sweep is just spiraling with the ramp like normal). One of the nice features of the spiral ramp circuit was it could be reset to 0V, and then restart from 0v when the reset went away. Another feature was an inverse ramp. When reset the inverse ramp when high. Diamond spirals were simply the spiral ramp driving the multiplier on one axis and the inverse spiral ramp feeding the multiplier on the other axis. The Inverse spiral ramp is not just the spiral ramp inverted. These were 2 quadrant multipliers. The inverse spiral ramp was the spiral ramp inverted and then offset to put it on the right side of ground.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Swamidog: good point. I'll put some short video clips and post some images. I'm doing this with my phone so the video quality is terrible but you will get the idea.

Laserist: Thank you for taking the time for the detailed description. Very helpful. when the signal hits the voltage rails like you described, is that when the image looks like a D instead of a circle. I have seen the D shape image in some of the Laserium videos on YouTube.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Swamidog: good point. I'll put some short video clips and post some images. I'm doing this with my phone so the video quality is terrible but you will get the idea.
    awesome! thank you
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Laserist: Thank you for taking the time for the detailed description. Very helpful. when the signal hits the voltage rails like you described, is that when the image looks like a D instead of a circle. I have seen the D shape image in some of the Laserium videos on YouTube.
    If it's happening with an offset it could be a inv spiral in reset. Otherwise there was a clipper circuit that was added around Crystal Odyssey that the cycloids ran through. I never liked it, but I was pre-feedback scanners...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso