Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WANTED - old school Laserium style abstract shows

Default WANTED - old school Laserium style abstract shows

Budding laserist and old-school Laserium (from the 70's /80's) fan wants to re-create the days gone by with his RGB & Lumia projectors, running Pangolin LD2000 and an ADAT tape deck. If anyone has old-style abstract shows for sale please contact me with pricing and show lists! I am a hobbyist, I do not put on laser shows for profit or gain, only my own personal satisfaction and enjoyment - Thanks Simon

If anyone has these, I'd be interested too!
    Tim

Smile

lasershowsimon;

There are a few shows on the PL FTP server for the Pangolin QM-2000 that were created by our members here. (Here is info on a second FTP server that has more shows.) One of the one's I did (the "Clocks" show) is nothing but abstracts. Nothing of the caliber of a Lasarium show, but still cool nonetheless. Have a look and grab some of the shows.

Adam

PS: Welcome to PhotonLexicon!

Being a Laserist for many years, doing shows is actually more than just playback of a show , especially the shows of the past you talk about. We had many tools at our ready to affect the beam as it played back from tape. The laserist was the critical link to a show that responded to the audiences in planetariums. We could make things as dim a or brite as we needed, Intensity was SOOOO important....we changed colors, speeds of effects, types of effects, color modulation...BOY, the list just goes on and on... Once the Live Laserist was removed from the equation, the shows took on a very VH1 cookie cutter quality.. every show you saw in every place seemed oddly the same...as it plays back off of ADAT or HD boxes... Its a new era for sure.. I remember doing shows with a 2 watt krypton for the full color projector, but its color balance was mainly green and blue.. with a bit of yellow and red... i did shows with 80wm of red totally successful, because i could see what was goin on and could adjust accordingly.. playing back a show, has no concept of what things look like on the dome... The ART of the laserist is slowly going by the wayside in my opinion...Lets hope groups like this can SAVE it!
    Last edited by LASER-AD; 05-19-2008 at 14:51. Reason: SP
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com

Hi Simon
    Good to see you made it over here
    I have made my own recycled lumina fx in the past with a motor and a home made lumina wheel. The lumina wheel started life as one of the blank clear CDs you get to protect a spindle of CD-R discs (or DVD) I carefully used a blow torch to heat it and bend and bubble it. The result was awesome. I do have some pix around somewhere - will see if I can find them. I made a stand for it and a speed control for the motor which was from the zoom mechanism off an old video camera that had died. The advantage of this was that it has a small reduction gearbox built in so the shaft turned slowly. The hub that the disc was attached to was a drive hub from a Hard disc drive and around the hub I put a large 'o' ring. The motor shaft just rested against this giving me further reduction gearing. Hence the recycled name as all the bits had lived in some form or another in a previous life.
    Unfortunately after appearing at the first UK meet of PL I broke the disc on the way home - but I just need to make a new one.

I know why you want the lumina so bad they are such a simple but beautiful effect.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi everyone, just a quick THANK YOU at being made so welcome here on this FANTASTIC web site that I only learned about by chance. Everybody has been so helpful and friendly - thanks to all. Downloading te shows you mentiond, THANKS :-)

I will be posting up some of my shows on my Youtube space by the end of the week so please do take a look over the weekend and comment if you think they are ok.

Thanks also to LASER-ADs Post, yes I realise just how talented those laserists were in London controlling the shows... I was only very young, but I used to chat with them afterwards and even got a look behind the famous 600 upright blue projector, it was the very first time I ever saw a raw Krypton laser beam shooting verticaly upwards and into te projector head itself, a very memorable moment.

Thanks again - Simon

here are a few images of my lumina wheel in action. These were not done with my whitelight - not enough lines - but rather a hene an argon and a green dpss all shone close to each other onto the disc.

The results are very pleasing

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lumina01.jpg  

lumina02.jpg  

lumina03.jpg  

lumina04.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Cool I like Lumina!

If you're into Lumina effects, have a look at my Ustream.tv page and select the "Lumina show" video clip. (Top row, on the right.) It's nothing more than a piece of shower glass attached to a 1/2 RPM motor stuck in front of my RGB projector. The projector is displaying a static frame at first, but then it switches to other frames as the video progresses. *Very* cool stuff.

For those of you that will be in attendance at SELEM 2008 this year, you'll get a chance to see this effect in person, along with one that DZ is currently putting together for his projector.

Lumina rocks!

And Simon, if you're still located in the UK (can't tell for sure, as you don't have your profile filled out yet), I suggest you make plans to attend the UKLEM that they're planning in August. You'll get a chance to meet a bunch of cool laser geeks, and also be able to get a close look at some awesome laser projectors. (Not to mention all the cool shows!)

Adam

Adam
    I think he is English but has gone down south to Auzzie stralia

Rob

Hey Adam / Rob,
    Yes I am English but now live down in Australia! I have already built myself a Lumia projector using 7 wheels that i purchased from Ivan at Laser Images (I think they did actually come out of te old 600 projector as now I have seen Yadatrance's pics of the inside of the 600, the discs are there!) I used these and I also created soem 'torture tubes' glass tubes (like test tubes about 20mm diameter) got the blow torch on them and then used a nail to put small indentations in them. I mounted these vertically so they rotate horizontally and then pass the laser through these as well as the discs. It is great to switch between the two effects as the wheels give you the usual pleasing 'swooshing' Lmia but the tubes give a totally different horizontal effect whic I love. check out my video clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAAh...AD270D&index=0
    as I put some Lumia to a classical piece by Corelli. Will be posting more vides for the end of the week and will get a gallery going on here of images as i progresed with my projector.
    Thanks again all for you feedback - this is such a col site. Iw onedr if we have meetings downunder? Any ideas?

ALl the best Simon.