PDA

View Full Version : DT40-Wide Amps shutting down, and both LED's flashing

Pages : [1] 2 3

superj7777
09-30-2011, 07:55
Suddenly, if I push my DT40's too hard, both LED's on both Amps start slowly flashing and the scanners pretty much freeze up. If I lower the scan rate to anything below 20K (regardless of angle) they work great. But, 30K or more (at even the smallest angle) almost instantly creates this problem.

Any suggestions?

swamidog
09-30-2011, 08:03
the stock dt40 PSU's are a little under-spec. you might try upgrading to something a little beefier.

Suddenly, if I push my DT40's too hard, both LED's on both Amps start slowly flashing and the scanners pretty much freeze up. If I lower the scan rate to anything below 20K (regardless of angle) they work great. But, 30K or more (at even the smallest angle) almost instantly creates this problem.

Any suggestions?

gottaluvlasers
09-30-2011, 08:55
.8A are the stock PS's. Got to a higher amperage. I would suggest ~2A or better.

ARGLaser
09-30-2011, 09:44

Any suggestions?

I had a VERY similar problem with my DT-30's.

Is the LED on the PSU flickering in sync with the scan amps?

What DAC are you using?

Edit:

I had a very similar problem, when I would display a frame (at any speed) the scan amps and PSU LED started to flick on and off very fast and the galvo's started clicking.

The problem ended up being two things.

A) My DAC (audio lase) wasn't tuned right, or something, but after a couple hours of tinkering it worked right. I later bought a RIYA DAC because I didn't want to run into any more issues.
B) The frame I was using wasn't working properly (and still doesn't) just use the ILDA test frame.

That was when I was making my first projector, so I didn't know much ;). Dave was VERY helpful in helping me find a solution. I still am very grateful to him for helping me.

superj7777
09-30-2011, 12:14
I agree, and believe it is the crappy PS provided, thanks Marc! (joking)

Not only is it lacking in current, but it's a pretty cheaply made Chinese knockoff of another power companies design. I can't remember their name, but I use to use their PS's all the time when I use to do control system.

I just ordered a beefy Power-One PS from Digikey, I'll post my results Tuesday!

Thanks for the help!

-Jason

Anthony
10-01-2011, 05:17
I but it's a pretty cheaply made Chinese knockoff of another power companies design. I can't remember their name,

Meanwell?????? 27773

superj7777
10-01-2011, 14:17
Yes! Meanwell :)

dnar
10-02-2011, 05:26
Same here with DT30's. The PSU only just provides enough current. IMHO they are close to the short-circuit protection threshold.

I am going to replace my PSU with a Meanwell.

-bart-
10-02-2011, 12:20
What are the professional alternatives to these no name supplies?
I have trouble finding A-brand symetric smps +/-24vdc.
I want to avoid setting two in series to save space.

dilbert
10-02-2011, 13:44
I use TDK-Lambda's HS series in a number of things - never had one fail out of 100's