PDA

View Full Version : Dichro help

2tall
08-30-2015, 13:07
Hi guys, I'm working on my second projector and I'm ready to glue the dichros to the mounts. What I need to know is which side do I glue to the mount. Is there a way to tell which side the coating is on or does it really matter. I think it does but I can't tell which side is which. Thanks for your help.

andy_con
08-30-2015, 13:08
shine the laser at the dichro

2tall
08-30-2015, 15:10
Thanks Andy that's just too simple. I must of had a major brain fart. Also I plan to use epoxy to glue them on but was wondering if hot glue would work too. Thanks again.

Bradfo69
08-30-2015, 16:07
Thanks Andy that's just too simple. I must of had a major brain fart. Also I plan to use epoxy to glue them on but was wondering if hot glue would work too. Thanks again.

Well..... lots of cheap Asian eBay projectors certainly have proven that it will work but... hot glue??? Really?? Have a little respect for your work! :rolleyes: At least try a little JB Quick or something of that nature. :)

2tall
08-30-2015, 16:42
Thanks Bradfo69. Never mounted dichros before so I'm just trying to get a feel for what's best to use. Trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible.

swamidog
08-30-2015, 16:53
Well..... lots of cheap Asian eBay projectors certainly have proven that it will work but... hot glue??? Really?? Have a little respect for your work! :rolleyes: At least try a little JB Quick or something of that nature. :)

use 5 minute epoxy... sparingly.

Bradfo69
08-31-2015, 03:36
Yes... I think you'll find "less is more". Particularly important if you end up finding something needs to be repositioned. Hot glue would be a mess to remove whereas the epoxy just needs a little heat from a torch and it should pop off.

kecked
08-31-2015, 07:08
double back tape! (kidding but it works in a pinch)

swamidog
08-31-2015, 07:45
Yes... I think you'll find "less is more". Particularly important if you end up finding something needs to be repositioned. Hot glue would be a mess to remove whereas the epoxy just needs a little heat from a torch and it should pop off.

i use a toaster oven. 10-15 mins at ~250F and the epoxy just falls apart.

dkumpula
08-31-2015, 08:01
i use a toaster oven. 10-15 mins at ~250F and the epoxy just falls apart.

I've found as little as 10 min at 150F is adequate for getting even the high strength epoxy to release the dichros although the amount of metal that they are mounted to is a factor. I find it strange that we don't here of dichros popping off after sitting in a hot car or other such events.

Regarding which edge is the reflecting edge, just put your fingernail on the surface of the dichro. The reflective side is the one where your nail touches its reflection with no gap. A little gap is the backside.

David