PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeep, my scanner output collapsed!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Things
09-29-2009, 07:12
Hey guys, I just finished converting a show, and went to play it on my projector, but it's only outputting a diagonal line. You can see the line moving, so it is getting signal, but what would cause it to act like that? I've had a brief check over the wiring, and nothing seems out of place.

I'm using the FB3, if that helps ...

Help :(:(

trwalters001
09-29-2009, 07:14
You've got the identical signal going to both scanners...

Things
09-29-2009, 07:17

Hmmm, I wonder how that happened, I haven't rewired anything since it was working last ...

Anything in the FB3 software that could be causing this?

allthatwhichis
09-29-2009, 07:30
It is diagonal, not horizontal or vertical? Did either scanner lose any of the magic smoke?

Things
09-29-2009, 07:35
Yep, it's like this:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/203420/sca.PNG

You can see the lines overlapping, as they have a variable brightness, and the line gets longer and shorter according to the output.

They are DT25's, no obvious smoke, no smell, no fire, no weird noises etc ...

EDIT: As a test, would it work to input 5V to each galvo's signal input, and see if they still move fine? I don't have any other DAC hardware working right now :/ Unless I can find my sound card DAC ...

Also, it was working fine last week, and I haven't modified anything since. I really hope the FB3 hasn't called it quits .... :( Don't have a o'scope, so it'd be kind of hard to check :/

EDITEDIT: Well, it works fine with the sound card DAC, so the problem is between the PC and the ILDA input on the scanner. :(
More edits: The sound card DAC works fine thru my DB25 cable, so now the only place the problem could be is the FB3 or software. Shit. :(

allthatwhichis
09-29-2009, 08:30
Pick up phone, call Pangolin... :cool:

Things
09-29-2009, 08:46
Just sent William a email, 2:30am here, too late to call lol.

Well, this is kind of annoying. I went to all the effort of converting the "Made of stars" show for the FB3 (Broke the .lds file up into all the separate segments, put them all on the timeline in order, added effects etc), and was lookin forward to a good show ... :(

Guess I just have to wait n see now.

trwalters001
09-29-2009, 08:48
Hi,

Both scanners are probably working fine.

Disconnect the horizontal scanner and you'll see a vertical line.
Reconnect, and then disconnect the vertical scanner and you'll see a horizontal line.

Both scanners are receiving the identical signal.

The length of the diagonal line changes as the size of the scanned axis changes (whichever one is being duplicated to both scanners).

Either the conversion wrote the same signal to both axes, or you've got a mis-wire or short.

Things
09-29-2009, 08:51

Hi,

Both scanners are probably working fine.

Disconnect the horizontal scanner and you'll see a vertical line.
Reconnect, and then disconnect the vertical scanner and you'll see a horizontal line.

Both scanners are receiving the identical signal.

The length of the diagonal line changes as the size of the scanned axis changes (whichever one is being duplicated to both scanners).

Yep, which leads me to believe my FB3 is playing up.

trwalters001
09-29-2009, 08:53
Do things work correctly with any of your other shows? One that you know worked in the past?