PDA

View Full Version : Die multimeter! die!

SpyroS
10-18-2009, 00:38
Right.. long story shortish. Built the stanham driver for a dual red set up. Now the problem is setting it up properly. I'm not a complete noob, but i am a complete idiot. As you can see in the pic the readings are of much use as a dead diode.

What am i doing wrong?

I tried measuring mV across a test load and i tried mA in series and I have tried measuring across the monitor resistor. I may have killed the diodes:( they both product a LED like glow, which is never a good thing, but since they both do exactly the same i'm hoping they are just under powered.

Anyone had any success with setting up the driver?

FourDee
10-18-2009, 05:19
I'm not familiar with the design of that driver, but is the sense resistor supposed to be 1/4W?

badger1666
10-18-2009, 06:22
show us some pics of your diode setup in case the problem is there ;)
i know how you feel we have all been there when learning :D

ledfreak3d
10-18-2009, 09:44
just put your meter on amps settings and put it on the diode output
that works fine to your just using your meter as a dummy load then

Doc
10-18-2009, 12:09
I can't see the value of the resistor in your first picture, but if it's 1ohm then you appear to be measuring 2.7A

SpyroS
10-19-2009, 23:24
It is a 1/4w 1R resistor. I'm back at uni this week so I'll try again this weekend. But nothing seems to be working. Both circuits are exactly the same and I've tested all the tracks to see if there wasn't a break, but they all working. Thanks guys

Frixxion
10-22-2009, 05:10
Is this the stan wax driver? If so, could you make a picture of the pack? Or did you etch these?

SpyroS
10-23-2009, 04:17
I etched them, really easy, all you need is some peroxide and pool acid. Hackaday.com has the tutorial.

SpyroS
10-23-2009, 22:42
It appears that i killed both diodes, they are now LED's. Had a PHR diode which i tested and it worked. But the driver will still not modulate properly. Whether the modulater wire goes to + or - the current stays the same.