-
New 5 watt Laser
Hi Guys I bought a new 5 watt laser and its got glass on the front would that do you think make the laser a little less brighter???? any ideas should I rip it off
The Chinese are calming its dust free.....
Also where is a good place to buy a laser meter tester anyone know cheers
:p
-
Hi Tony.
I guess it depends on what the glass is and whether or not it has a reflection free coating on it. If it's a decent coating and decent glass you should lose no more than 1% of your light.
You could remove it, but I would advise caution, especially if the optics compartment is a sealed chamber. It's amazing how dust in the air is attracted to the internal mirrors, and if you're using it in either haze or fog... Well, let's just say that your mirrors will be crapped up in no time at all.
The only way for sure to test the losses through the exit aperture is to use a power meter, both before and after the glass. That way you'll be able to measure the losses exactly rather than guessing.
The Ophir heads that come up from time to time are a good buy as you can link them directly up to a voltmeter for the readout. Other than that there's 'Lasersbee' here on the forum that makes a nice solution.
If you're looking for a more 'commercial' solution i've seen the Laserwave power meters and they seem pretty good. Might be worth a quick email to Bridge to ask him for a price.
Cheers
Jem
-
DONT take the glass off. It is likely that the laser is TEC cooled and the chamber is sealed to keep moisture out. IF you remove the glass moisture will condense on the optics and possibly the pump diode. It could mess up the beam or at worst short something out or over time rot the circuit board. Second it is likely that the glass is an IR filter and removing it will allow a substantial amount of 1064 and 808nm out the front. A pump diode to get 5W of green could leak a very large amount of IR making it very hazardous. LEAVE THE GLASS ALONE.
Also unless you really need 5 watts of green run it at 70% or less and it will live a lot longer.
-
Hi Guys thank you very much for your advice I love this forum I have learnt so much here with out you guys technical experience and years of experience to guide me I would never have learnt as much as I have Its truly a pleasure talking to everyone on this forum over the years your all like my best friends that I haven't meet. :) Thank you....
-
2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 38285Attachment 38284Attachment 38284
I have attached pictures for you to look at....
-
-
5 laser models in cheaper units is quite typical. This is what Goldenstar does for their $2,000 5 watt RGB projectors.
This one looks like 2x500mw 638nm = 1 watt R, 1x532nm = 1 watt G, 2 watt + 1 watt 445nm = 3 watts B. Total = 5 watts. Not balanced, but cheap. You can get these with analog mod & 25K for as cheap as $1,600 + shipping right now.
-
-
Hi Tony,
My canton laserphoto laser came with a window. I noticed a lot of light reflecting off the window and going back into the case.
What worried me is that at times light could be reflected back to the diodes.
We purchased an edmonds optics 2"x2" ar window. It wasn't that expensive however with freight it was.
When I pulled the old window out I found out that it was in fact just glass.
The new window reduced back reflections by about 80% ( No power meter).
The new window (when viewed on certain angles) has a slight colour.
-
While a Brewster window is specific to wavelength, I imagine a lot can be gained by using some kind of angle so long as it doesn't waste a lot more in reflection than it helps in passing.