Added a 7th lumia position to the beam rail, I like it but still have some tweaking to do.
http://youtu.be/1P2NAV8z6Y8
Printable View
Added a 7th lumia position to the beam rail, I like it but still have some tweaking to do.
http://youtu.be/1P2NAV8z6Y8
And the previous positions
http://youtu.be/WOfJQ7u0A34
I love the yellow that you're getting in the first video.
Beautiful.
I love the speed of the motor. How many RPM are you using?
Generally the slower the better. You can buy 1/4 RPM motors and I would say these are pretty ideal as long as they move very smoothly, or buy a 1 RPM and slow it down. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that a 1RPM motor and a geared belt drive is a good thing ;)
One of the problems is that the speed of these motors is measured at the shaft. Once you've stuck a 70 or 80mm bit of circular glass on the shaft the outside of the glass is moving faster. For various reasons it's not always practical to get your beam close to the centre.
Take a look here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1710202155...84.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1905374762...ht_1489wt_1402
Yes Jem, I'd like to try that. Swamidog was showing me some pictures and video of his belt driven setup and the lumia looks wonderful at that speed.
I'm just too cheap, 2 for $15( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hankscraft-3...item43be66dddf ) then about a buck to build speed control, .25 for a 1/8 collar or shaft extension and done. I am able to get them to a too slow position also as the motor does run down to about a half volt.
Lol... Have you seen the cost of shipping ;)
I have a couple of those motors and some PWM speed controllers. The problem is that you have to give 'em a fair bit of voltage to start them moving then reduce the voltage to get the desired speed, this is faffy. Also, using a PWM controller doesn't really help as it affects the smoothness of the motor. I still figure it's better to either buy a geared motor such as those I linked to OR use a belt drive to adjust gearing to the desired speed. Very very slow is better for lumia ;)
ouch just saw the $42 to ship to UK. It is only $6 in the USA
Maybe I have been lucky, these for me restart without having to increase the voltage even when set to less than .5 rpm. I am just using a simple transistor, diode, pot control. The supply I use though is good for 3 amps maybe that stiffness helps.
No doubt a motor geared for it is better not arguing that. Just putting out my experience (I am sure now that I have touted it, it will fail :) )