1 Attachment(s)
Is this the place for laser-show-noob questions?
Greeting everyone!
It's been a long time dream of mine (I'm 49) to build a mini-planetarium at home and produce my own laser shows. As a kid in the 70's and 80's, I've seen all the Laserium shows over three or four decades mostly at either the Franklin Institute in Phila (pre-90's), or the Boston Museum of Science (post 90's) and several other venues as well. I remember back in the 70's at the WHYY Channel 12 studios in Phila, seeing an early laser show with only one green laser on a flat movie screen.
Anyway, I've been looking at RGB laser systems for a couple of years now, and finally decided to pull the trigger and jump into this hobby as just something to do for fun and friends/family -- nothing professional. (actually, about 10 years ago I did buy a one-color lissajous laser kit from MWK Industries (for like $700!!) that I had fun with for a while -- see image below).
Attachment 43481
While I don't yet have my home planetarium (still working on that one), I've been reading up a lot here, and I'd like to get the LaserKing LK-PD3 RGB unit (I know it's not yet available, I'm waiting patiently). I'm also going to get Pangolin QuickShow (I already downloaded the demo and I'm watching the intro videos).
So here are my first list of basic questions/assumptions:
1. I'd like to set up a DMX control board to control the live effects during a show. I find it difficult to use the mouse in QS -- I want something more tactile. I assume I can use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=151004728976
2. I know I'd need the ENTTEC USB DMX Pro (or Open) to go from DMX to USB into QS for DMX-IN.
3. The LK-PD3 has those 8 effects on a wheel addressable via DMX. So how do I hook up QS to the laser projector to use those effects as Ques in a show? Since I'm already using DMX-in for the DMX control board, I don't think I can use DMX-out at the same time. Is the effects wheel also addressible via ILDA? If so, how do I tell QS about it?
4. I assume when playing shows with music (again using QS) that the audio is simultaneously generated on the computer (line-out), so I'd have to run an audio line to the amplified audio system in the room. It seems like a lot of wires to/from the show computer: (1) Audio-out (2) USB to the FB3 to ILDA to projector (3) USB to the ENTTEC DMX unit and then DMX to the control board (4) power. If I want to set this up in the living room, I'm going to have wires running all over (for instance, the stereo system is on the opposite side from where the projector and computer will be). And I've read that wireless solutions are either very expensive or unreliable.
5. Sort of the same as #3 -- say I get a fog machine -- how would I set that up as an automatic que in QS? Same question for say overhead fixed beam laser effects with a second fixed laser and mirrors?
That's it for now. I know I have A LOT to learn. So please be patient. Or tell me the right place to go!
thanks.