Combining Glow in the Dark Art with Traditional Laser Graphics . . and more
Hey folks,
Several threads in the past week have discussed advancing the laser art form. In that light, I wanted to share something that I've spent hundreds of hours working on over the past year - how to successfully combine traditional RGB graphics with glow in the dark laser art. Easy you say?? I thought so too. As it turns out, seeing glow in the dark art which is still dim even with the best glow in the dark paint along with highly saturated RGB graphics is quite challenging.
After a lot of experimenting I started making the GITD art the static background elements and very low level graphics lasering combined with lots of masks. Thanks to low-power single-mode diodes, excellent diode drivers from BBE, I was able to successfully get consistent gray levels under 5mw, which is necessary to combine these elements. Capturing dim GITD along with RGB graphics on camera is even more challenging. Even when it looks good in person, it is really hard to film. I spent quite a while working away at the filming challenges with input from Swamidog who knows oodles more than I do when it comes to videography (and probably just about everything else).
Here is my attempt to capture all of this with a beamshow, traditional graphics with duo 60Kpps content (thanks to Pangolin), and lumia thrown in for good measure. I'm not terribly happy with how the video capture worked out, but I'm getting better . . slowly. This show utilizes all 18 projectors I currently have installed in the disco, several of which are doing double-duty as graphics, GITD, lumia and/or beams. The show itself is written in LSX. I hope you enjoy.
https://youtu.be/_rzhvSwxmkI
and in Vimeo if YouTube blocks it:
https://vimeo.com/348664809
-David