Quote:
Originally Posted by
shobley
What are the mirrors on the galvos made from typically?
Normally they're dielectric mirrors, though some really cheap stepper-motor scanners might still use silvered mirrors.
Quote:
How are they bonded to the axle?
The axle is slotted to accept the mirror, and a drop of expoxy holds it in place.
Quote:
Can they be replaced if they break?
Yes. You can usually use a soldering iron to loosen the epoxy so you can get the mirror fragment out. Then you need to install the new mirror. Balance and alignment is crucial, however.
Quote:
I've noticed that I'm getting a certain amount of transmission through my galvo mirrors - is this normal?
Yes. Up to 5% loss per mirror is normal, though most galvos have mirrors that only loose 1 or 2 percent.
Quote:
What is amp/galvo tuning all about?
Adjusting the scanner amp to get maximum performance out of the galvos. It's as much an art as a science, but it makes a noticable difference. Tuning is specific to a galvo-amp pair.
Quote:
This one is DT40Pro specific - I noticed that there are 2 inputs +/- on the amps. Currently I'm using only 1 - am I getting only half the range on output? Or are the two inputs an "either/or" thing?
You're using single ended input rather than differential input. (Differential would be using the + and the - input, with the center pins grounded.) As for the size, it depends on how the scanners were tuned at the factory. Your displayed image may only be half size, but you'd need to measure it to be sure.
Quote:
Finally, when does the squiggly pattern in front of your eyes fade?
Normally as soon as you turn the laser off. If not, see your opthamologist pronto!
Adam