Quote:
Originally Posted by
absolom7691
...And Soforene shouldn't change his avatar. I like his new one :D!
I completely agree! :D>:)
Quote:
I would be interested to see a side by side comparison with Pango hardware and homemade hardware on a screen.
This is exactly why so many people have championed the idea of the "Laser Enthusiast's Meeting". It gives you that chance to see all sorts of hardware running side-by-side. You can play with it, ask questions, make comparisons, and learn a lot about the differences between them.
Quote:
I wonder if PL'ers here could tell the difference. Probably not.
In fact, the difference is easy to spot. See both of my posts above. (Or any of the others over the past few years were members have commented about how impressed they were after seeing Pangolin with their own eyes.)
This is what Bill has been driving at when he says, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." Sure, it sounds like a trite, pat saying. But the truth is that unless you've seen it, you really don't know what you're missing.
Quote:
Pangolin is great stuff, no doubts. It can do a lot of things, but so can LaserBoy. For development of our tight-knit community, I think it is irresponsible for us to inadvertantly discourage free thinkers out there by calling their hard work "shite".
I don't think Bill or I ever called it that. I do believe that what James is doing is valuable to the community, and I know that Bill agrees with that sentiment as well.
But when people start saying that it's just as good as Pangolin, they're completely, utterly, wrong. I remember Carmangary once wrote that he was going to write his own software that was going to be *better* than Pangolin... I was shocked at the arrogance, until I realized that he had never seen Pangolin, and so he had no idea what he was aiming for.
It gets back to my point about arguing from a position of ignorance. If you don't know what's out there (or what's important), then what you have is all you know. For example, there once was I time when I was *deeply* dissatisfied with my Alphalite. I checked out Mamba Black, and at the time I thought it would solve *all* my problems. I thought it was all I'd ever need or want. This lead to some of my rather arrogant (and completely wrong) statements about Pangolin back in early 2006...
Quote:
Bill is one such free thinker too. What if GSI or CTI said his turbotrack was terrible and the public believed it. We would be short one hell of an amp. That is all.
The difference is that Bill came up with his design first, and tested it against the other commercial amps to *prove* that it was better *BEFORE* he started marketing it. Even now though, do you hear Bill crowing about how great his design was? No. You hear other people talking about it, because they suffered with the lousy amps before they got their hands on the TurboTrack, so they *know* how much better it is...
Quote:
I have no enemies here and don't want to make any.
Dude - this is a lively debate, nothing more. I don't consider you an enemy by any stretch. For that matter, I don't consider James an enemy either. (Can we get a group hug here?)
My posts are simply my effort to share the mistakes I made early on that cost me a lot (both in terms of time and money) because I didn't know what I was talking about.
Quote:
Constructive criticism is a very good thing, but I'd be willing to bet that half of the people who slam LaserBoy have never even looked at it.
I suspect that a number of people haven't looked at it for very long, but I believe everyone that has a stong opinion about Laserboy in this thread has at least run the software. Unfortunately, some people are really turned off by the interface, and thus they never get very deep into the program.
Quote:
James has provided a lot for those who have limited means to enjoy a part of this.
I agree completely. The combination of a sound card DAC (with a correction amp) and some free software is about the cheapest way you can get into lasers. And for some people, it's the *only* way, because of financial constraints. So I'm glad that the option exists, and I hope it continues to exist.
But just as I recognize that it *is* a cost effective solution, I also know that it's *not* an optimal one, and that long-term, there are serious drawbacks that will need to be dealt with. A lot of people think that "good enough" will always be good enough. That's not the case.
Adam