Originally Posted by
AnAnonymousParty
What was the idea behind that, if you don't mind my asking? I can think of several reasons:
Was it to ensure a sine wave of consistent quality?
To have constant 90 degree phase shift across the frequency range?
To be able to to vary the phase shift?
Or was it for frequency stability?
Reason I ask is because, besides being just basically curious, I'm interested in hearing about how others have solved the problem and what the design considerations (requirements vs tradoffs) were. I've designed/built voltage controlled sinewave quadrature oscillators but didn't need to resort to anything like that. I get constant phase shift over a fairly wide frequency range and not much sine distortion. I'm using parts that, while getting harder and harder to find now (OTAs), ought to have been common in the 70s-80s. While I can't vary the phase shift in these circuits (and I typically don't want to) I have other VCQOs where I can vary the phase shift, albeit at the expense of phase shift dependent on frequency. I've considered using a counter/eprom/DAC combo, and might since I don't feel it would violate my 'all analog' policy if I'm driving the counter from an oscillator that can be varied via a pot.