that is what i heard also...
so we are talking about 6w of 642... wow!!!
i want beam shots!!!!!!!!!
Printable View
Laser building like this takes on a level of passion for the machine itself. Seeing the results are only half the payoff to a mecha-electropolis like this to me. Nice work.
Thanks for the positive feedback. Re. the LOCs, at -30C they emit at 646 nm. I have tested them down to -55C in a separate module (used to work out the layout of a single driver/4 diode strip) and at that temp the wavelength is 641nm. The relationship of .25-.30 nm/C holds and is linear. They are only slightly more orange at 646, but are twice as bright. And by the way there is no focus or alignment shift with the glass Optima lenses even down to -55C.
The purpose for cooling the 445s is that they become/remain more efficient at lower temps. On this front I haven't done as much testing as with the LOCs and can't give limits ie. the trend might taper or continue beyond -10C, but I measure 10% when compared with 30C and I can't imagine these lower temps won't increase the longevity of these diodes. However, to reach below this temp. will require more powerful cooling (140W of diode input already) and the reason for this apparently overkill set up is that I do intend to increase the cooling as well as the diode current with a goal of 30-40 W of combined output. There is very little temperature induced wavelength shift with these diodes. The published .02nm/C is plausible as I can't detect any shift with a delta of 40C and maybe 1-2 nm at -55C.
After I finish replacing the knife edge springs I'll set these up and get some beam pics.
Truly outstanding piece of engineering. :)
Beautifully machined.
Well done that man. :good:
The million dollar question is; what will be the combined pointing stability be after a few dozen thermal cycles from ambient to -30 and vice versa ?
WOW...A Vicenary Laser ( 20 LD heads )...yea...JJ on a pole !!Attachment 25005
Is it possible we see some pics of it running at -30 to -40, i would love to see a red from a blue laser diodes, special powers 1 Watt power :)