Originally Posted by
nuphotonix
I wonder how much a CGI artists gets paid for 60 seconds of finished completed video? I know the answer for this question, $1,200 per 5 seconds. Mind you this is with an 8 core cpu and a tesla video card at over $5k. It IS tedious, it IS a time consuming craft. Just like hand cartooning. SO the money, is justified on any level. I no longer release ILDA files. I keep everything in LSX. sorta pros only after seeing someone else display a laser show at the OMSI that was mine. so the friends only theory is out the window. I personally charge $370 per minute for completed works before music licensing. I also use laser cam, inscape and max 3-d to assemble themed shows in a snap. But I took the time to learn my craft. Laser Gaga is a 35 minute show, and laser Perry is only 5 mins. Regardless, its still a craft, plumbers get $75.00 per hour to cut pipe!
There are many hobbiests that may help for free, but you get what you pay for. Some programmers on here are excptional, I am always amazed at the quality of steves and a few others shows, but then again, I get paid to play with a few wonderful lasers, and get paid to learn new programs and platforms to manipulate data. All I can say is Learn in your teens and twenties,earn in your 30's and 40's. And you too can program laser shows, spend countless hours on a show of your own personal time to get it just right, and then give it away without earning a dollar so someone can show their friends. Ill make a video and up it on you tube. Not the same fun is it?