all line argon ?
in a club ?
in 2012 ?
You barely see that nowadays !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIEM4C-ZGY
Printable View
all line argon ?
in a club ?
in 2012 ?
You barely see that nowadays !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIEM4C-ZGY
Beautiful colour!
I could stare at that sky blue argon all day. Stunning!
Must remind myself to pack the little Spectra for April's UKLEM :cool: These were taken at UKLEM 12
Attachment 41227
Attachment 41228
Attachment 41229
Well I have finally taken possession of this monster as well as an 800 series. Thanks Dan for all your help :)
I am amazed how light this unit is compared to an 800 that weighs more than the moon ! O_o
The 800 series is an easy one to convert and have done a few before so not too worried about that one.
The PV here is another ball game......
The lamp power supply is nothing like a "standard" ALE as the lamp runs on about 400 VDC and rely's on the main CPU board to control the power level in a closed loop control system.
I.E. the CPU tells the PSU how much to drive via an IC2 style digital bus to a DAC on the PSU.
The Incoming AC current is monitored via a toroid current transformer on the incoming breaker and software in the CPU keeps it all happy !
Going to have to design a nice PID controller for this probably using an atmel AVR or PIC single chip cpu etc...
On the plus side, the KTP oven heater controller is self contained and all controlled in hardware on the existing smaller PSU board and just needs a 5 volt digital signal to enable it ! :cool:
As for the cooling, it needs mains water :(
It has some fancy auto DI water converter and needs a pulse of fresh cold tap water every 30 seconds or so and chucks out the equivalent on the discharge.
Unlike the 800 series, it doesn't have an internal radiator yet there is a space in the case for one. ???? !
Once I have the lamp running issue sorted, I will attempt to make this a truly closed loop water system but have a feeling I may need a few more fans. !
Really wish I could do a detailed thread on this but I know everyone (Pat :shout:) would complain like a little girl..lol
Agreed.. :)
Its my pride an joy... lol
Its a Coherant Highlight 8 watt laser but we only run it about 2.2 watts due to power and MPE levels.
Cheap to buy, never gives me any grief and is 25 years old !!
Power is not an issue as I don't pay the bill ;)
Yes, I love it !!
meh....seen one vag burner...you've seen em all :) I might get slightly impressed if I saw a pic of 80 watts on a power meter ;) until then ill remain...mehhh...
I had the party in 1991, and you are now just showing up ;) Just don't poke your eye out ;)
Perhaps it is time for you to retire and leave the fun to us "not so old" people ... ;)
My plan is to get the 80 watter up and running for the UK LEM but I do not possess a power meter that big ! lol
If you do bring it... I've a 100W Coherent head I'll bring :cool:
Oooh what wavelength(s)... ?
*Power meter head ;)
Awww, you had me excited then... !
That would be good :)
Why not just dump the beam with a beam splitter. A coated window with a known reflection ratio works. I actually melted some spots on an Ophir head with the Q-switched output before I started protecting it this way. And, I agree about retirement. If this gets boring there are a lot of other interests a person can pursue.
..Well, ya, there'd likely be a stink raised about any-such 'conversion-tips' being posted, here, but.. More-so for 'reasons less obvious'.. In fact - (side-note to Herr Briggs.. who - kudos - was oh-so-careful not to even mention the 'name' in his OP..:cool: I'd even suggest striking the photos of anything with the 'name-plate' or any-marks of the 'OEM'...
..I say this, because I've been advised by a reliable-supplier of LS-systems, that he'd been told by another customer (that bought-up many of the LS-800 systems from him..), that HE'd gone and put-up some 'blog' somewhere (FB, maybe? dunno..) about his 'conversion' efforts on one of these pups.. and ended up getting his * sued inside-out by AM$.. *even* for doing a non-medical-application conversion.. And, he was lamenting, because he had to spend several-thousand to *defend* himself.. According to him, AM$ has got a 'zero-tolerance policy' toward any non medical-field-reentry applications, and are quite voracious about 'defending' their IP / designs, etc for these things.. I italicized 'according-to', because I didn't speak to this 'converter' firsthand, and.. Sure - you can, indeed find these 'for sale' all-over eBay, etc.. Not saying they don't 'allow aftermarket-sales'.. but are voracious about preventing people doing any 'mods'... But, I also have no-reason to 'disbelieve' this supplier, because, well.. he'd much-rather sell me one than discourage a sale, ya? :) But, he was all 'scared-like, '..if I ever agreed to sell you one, it's 100% cash and carry, zero 'conversion-support', and I don't wanna hear *one word* about 'what yer gonna do with it..', etc.. Polar-opposite of how they've always-been as a LS-sys supplier..
..Now, I don't know if AM$ has any 'reach' whatsoever over there, or, as I said, even how 'vetted' that story is.. But, just like we found out with the initial C@$*0-situ - with them threatening to sue Herr Janitor / shut-down PL (..yeah, right..) yada-yada - which was, at the very-least, a major pain in his arse for several-weeks - I'm merely suggesting that PL is 'not the place' for such a 'risk' with conversion-info going public on these bad-boys.. On either the 'community-responsibility' to only-dispense this info to those *qualified* to know such info (ie: people with existing LS-experience..)-front, OR, on the 'We don't wanna end-up having AM$ set-up camp on our beloved-Janitor's keister'-front.. (..even though, knowing-him, he would-prolly just tell them to 'go eat a bag of di... :)
..I think the 'salient-point' of the AM$-story from my supplier was that AM$ did-not 'muck-about with a silly-little threat-letter' - they went straight to suit, (iirc..) and this 'would-be converter' was lamenting, because he had to spend $$$$$ just to 'defend himself'.. Again, no-knowledge what 'reach' they might have, there, but I'm sure we'd all hate to see PL under-attack, however 'illigit'..
Just some füd fer thought.. :cool: That-said, I'd *love* to chat about these over PM, and would be happy to share tips for 'taming' these beams, fwiw.. :)
cheers..
j
Jon has a point.
"They" have a point with the new super high power systems. Lawyers will "attach" them to any suit for an accident. Since "they" have to have medical liability insurance, "their" premiums would skyrocket everytime "they" got attached to a lawsuit even when the system was modded and thus no longer 21 CFR compliant. Think about how demand would go up if this technique was highlighted on Flashdot or MakerNOTsoFair.
Steve
Steve and Jon,
PM incoming
Jon, Thanks for the reply.
That is fair enough and a real shame for the true laser "geek" community.
Not worried for myself in terms of any law suits but do not want to cause PL any issues.
I will eventually start a new thread and take your advice about removing trade marks etc... and not including the required details for the conversion.
I will be in touch at some point soon about any advice you can offer as always willing to add to my knowledge despite my experience.
I am fully aware on safety aspects :)
Maybe we need a private forum here for trusted members....
I believe this is because lasers are thought of as exotic and potentially threatening, so using them must entail risk maybe a lot of risk. It is a little of that "food of the gods" thing. The alcohol served in the clubs where these lasers are used is far more dangerous, but well...Quote:
I have a hard time believing that - then why aren't car companies sued every time someone is killed in a car accident.
Just a quick update to say that I have successfully managed to get the lamp PSU bypassed. :)
Time to bin the big control board and put this beast on a diet..........
Doing some spring cleaning and realized that I've got one of these machines here. Along with a couple of 700/800 series (1 water cooled, 1 air cooled). And parts to build 2-3 more. And a couple of 110V powered [redacted] (which is like a mini version of the 80W that does 20W). Anyone near San Jose interested before I dump all this [redacted] equipment on eBay?
You must have a pretty impressive inventory to incidentally find a couple of these gathering dust. I am interested in the "mini" versions. Are they lamp pumped, Q switched doubled Yags?
I've got about 2000 sqft of 'junk' of which maybe 10% is listed on eBay at any given time.
The mini LS machines are lamp pumped with a 3" arc length and a smaller diameter YAG rod, but the laser deck looks remarkable similar to the big 80W. They have a tiny water/air cooler built-in which is probably not suitable for running full power for any length of time. I think they are rated 10W at the 'vag' end (though I think these were sold as skin treatment rather than surgical machines), but have 'StarPulse' which claims 160W. Likely only for 1 pulse or something. These use the Analog Modules 591A arc lamp supplies which are reasonably well documented, though I have never hotwired one of them. I would need to get around a kilobuck per machine. I also have a couple very similar units which are Erbium YAG @ 2940nm.