Says the guy who buys 90% of what comes up for sale in 10 minutes or less :cool:
Printable View
I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but,
For those of you concerned about cholesterol...be wary of the Sizzli breakfast sandwiches at Wawa. I try to watch it since high cholesterol runs in my family. I don't know the exact numbers, but it's really high. Probably why they are so good!!
But it's the "good" cholesterol! ;) :dance:
Ok, I fully know that asking this question I'm probably volunteering for the task.
But is anyone handling the SELEM scheduling that djeric did last year ?
I think someone in the Zoom calls also "volunteered" to do the scheduling -- who was that? :)
I'd like to do a followup presentation for ILDAC-32 and ILDAC-WAV, but as far as I can tell, nobody has put a schedule together.
If buffo or djeric has the source templates from last year and can send them to me, I can give it a shot.
5 Days!!!!!
Attachment 59030
And still so many things to do... :) But yeah, we are getting there.
Hank, I think David Kumpula still has the blank schedule documents. If you'd like to take a stab at setting a schedule, I'd reach out to him first to get copies of what he's done in the past. Then I would suggest you give Brad a call - he can probably provide some approximate times for meals and such.
We don't have a lot of things to schedule this year, but we did want to do some live broadcasting on at least one of the days. Maybe check with Will Carder on that to see if it's still on the table. Also, Chris and I will be doing VR demos and racing RC cars, but that doesn't necessarily need to be scheduled. I know you had a presentation on the ILDAC-32, and Jacob Potter might have something to say about the new Etherdream as well. Don't know if Chris Short has any news about the Radiator that he wants to share, but that's another possibility. Nisha Ramnath said she's got some new shows she'd like to share, and I think a few other people expressed interest in running new content as well.
If you can't get input from everyone, maybe just have a schedule posted each day with the blank times listed.?. Then that morning people can fill in things for the day? Just a thought...
Adam
PS: For those of you who saw the preview in DC back in April, I have good (and terrifying) news: after a diode transplant, I'm happy to report that BIG BLUE LIVES and will be making an appearance at SELEM.
i would be happy to do a radiator talk. i've been doing some midi control of radiators via LSX and streamdecks that might be interesting to folks and i'm happy to do some q&a.
there is an announcement to be made, but i don't know if i can do it yet, i have to clear it first.
At several SELEMs in the past, we used an app to announce scheduled events to everyone's phone.
What apps did we use in the past, and are there better options today?
Discord or Slack?
Ok, folks... I'm putting together the schedule of events for the week.
If you have anything you want to present, or shows you want to play, please let me know ASAP what you would like to do, and approximately how much time you need.
And if it's a presentation, or a laser show in the main auditorium or in Club SELEM.
Thanks.
Ok, here's the draft/preliminary schedule -- obviously subject to change!
https://teamup.com/kstvdkv3y7azvmab4o
It's all web based, but there's a free TeamUp app which makes it easier to view.
If you have anything to get on the schedule, now's the time to let us know.
Thanks Hank!
Are there any plans or thoughts for having a how to session or 2 for actually making lasers shows? Maybe for Beyond, LSX, Spaghetti, LaserShowGen, etc.. I could use some of the basics for Beyond and LaserShowGen. We could have them impromptu or what not but being on the schedule is good too. Any thoughts? I know you fellows have ideas.
Also maybe we can have a make a show at SELEM and have a contest or just enjoy what wacky stuff we see? At the old Laser-FX meetups we could submit shows in a standard format (ADAT I think), we all watched them and voted to get a Brewster award. Maybe that's too formal.
You're welcome! But so far nobody has sent me any additional plans for shows or presentations.
Sounds good, but we'd have to find people willing to give those classes. I know swamidog gave an LSX class a few years ago. I know laserjock knows Spaghetti (LOL) and probably a lot of people know LSG. But so fare nobody has volunteered to do this.
I think Brad has something tentative for Tuesday evening along these lines, but I'll let him talk about that at SELEM.
That is the most missed thing from SELEMs of the past after I had returned after 7 year hiatus, was the building of projects/projectors and also the unique show content. I still enjoy several from allthatwhichis that he did in the past. Yep the brewsters were submitted on ADAT, I /another bought all of Michael's ADAT and remaining laser stuff some years back and have most of the shows from the conferences.
Should we bring an ADAT player and show some old shows? I have an ADAT (no idea of how good it works) and some show tapes from my uncle. I will plan on bringing it. Will have to check it out before I leave. Also I wouldn't mind transferring my shows from ADAT into WAV format if anyone knows how to do that.
Projector building ... hmm that would be fun. I know Ethan has a projector that needs the red diodes replaced. If he wants that would be a fun group activity. I also have one that needs the reds replaced however I didn't order any parts like Ethan did.
I have a MiniDSP Lightpipe interface as well, and can bring it. HD24 and black ADAT machines if needed. I am bringing an IE DV decoder/encoder and tape machine for a project with cfav. If you have content on DV tape or laserdisc you want converted it could happen but you have to let me know in advance and what format (SVHS, Beta, 3/4", LaserDisc. I don't have a LD player.)
-----
Hey, so the data hoarder in me has the idea of trying to get paper laser and show documentation for archive. I think it would be cool to try to archive laser related and show related print materials and feed it into archive.org and other places to try to get things that don't exist in digital form to digital.
Does anyone have this kind of stuff that needs to go digital? I think I have SP 2020 or 2040 manuals from when I had one of those 20 watt argons and a 270 exciter (that's right) and was thinking I need to scan it. Problem is the fold out diagrams. But anyways, it's a thought I've had for a while. I have some manuals I plan to scan soon but am wondering how much other stuff is out there that needs to be digitally preserved? Just a project idea.
You know, in addition to making a documentary about laser shows. But that is another 7 year old project idea that scares me every time I try to figure out how I would do it :-)
Hank,
Thanks for stepping up and putting together the schedule. You know it's like the name tags......it is forever yours now. *retardo
I see a lot of VR time. I hope I get a chance to play. Lol
As far as what Hank mentioned above... I had an idea that I ran past Adam for something we might want to try for the fun of it and he suggested Tuesday night. Basically it's a version of the ILDA Laser Jockey competition that happens at the ILDA conference each year.
The idea is this. Anyone who wants to sign up to be a "contestant" can. Each person, after a blind draw, will perform live to approximately 3 minute random clip of music they've likely not heard before. Usually EDM type stuff. (I have clips)
The audience will then vote on who did the best job. It's supposed to be anonymous so, the audience sits in front of the control station area and, using the honor system, don't turn around to see who the contestant is. They are told "You are now scoring contestant one." "You are now scoring contestant two. " and so forth. It's a little tricky since there will probably need to be some switching of cables in between each contestant. They've been using IDN for the past two years and usually there is a bit of time beforehand where each person has some time to set up and check their zones and such. Granted at ILDA, the bar is open and it's pretty social between contestants but, we usually have switched between the folks competing in a matter of two minutes or so. Typically we've had about 5 or 6 competing so, it's usually an hour or so. If nobody wants to do it, no harm, no foul... just thought it could be something different to try. I have no idea about a "prize" yet. Might just be bragging rights but maybe we can find something cool to make it more enticing.
I haven't run any of my shows for several years so, maybe I can set some of my gear up in the club for that too. I've got 7 that I've created over time.
I'm also good with the idea of some basic show programming education in various formats. Lord knows I could use it.
My flight lands in Philadelphia Sunday at 12:35 PM.
Anyone want to spit an Uber/Lyft to the Holiday Inn then the venue?
Chris
Bring the streamer...
I'm waiting to hear if Mike Muhler is leaving NJ for SELEM on tuesday. If so I'll stay with him for 1-2 days.
Steve
Re: streaming - I am definitely going to try to get some kind of broadcasts going this year. Last year we were very bandwidth constrained, and latency was too inconsistent to be able to keep a stable stream going. Brad has done some upgrades and we should have a lot more bandwidth this year.
I am bringing more network gear than I did last year too; we will have an isolated wired network with WAN access which we can use for video distribution among ourselves, outbound streams, artnet/etherdreams, whatever. It will also have its own MIMO wifi6 access point so those of you with devices in your consoles that communicate amongst themselves via wifi should get better performance too.
I have a machine that can crush some encoding/compositing, plenty of disk space for recordings, a local nginx RTMP relay so we can exchange streams with each other, and means to distribute streams publicly or privately on the internet....but I have very little in the way of video capture hardware or cameras. Those of you who normally bring cameras and means to get the video feed onto a computer - please do so again! You can send me data via NDI, RTMP, or a directly attached USB (A or C) or thunderbolt capture device. I have another couple older thinkpads (my former laser laptops, loaded W530s) which can't handle compositing/multi-encoding of a master broadcast, but can do fine as single camera-to-NDI or camera-to-RTMP sources.
And in a totally different direction, I am bringing a whitelight ArKr (the Coherent CR-4 that followed me home last year) and a 1/4"-20 optical breadboard to stick all the fun stuff on, but I am short a bit of hardware. If anyone has some MM-1s (even better with mirrors on them) that you could bring, that would be awesome; I have no idea where my box of them has run off to. Even better if you want to bring any that I could buy from you >:)
I have a couple scanners to try to stick on there, PCAOM and all of its bits, and a handful of misc mounting hardware. If anyone has a junk box of 1/4"-20 compatible mounts/accessories, some extra options might be nice to have too.
Can't wait to see you all in a couple days!
Hi All,
This is Mary Keefe, Ed Keefe's wife. I'm planning to come to SELEM for a couple of days this week, Monday - Wednesday range. I feel like I know many of you due to Ed's stories from SELEMs in the past but am really looking forward to meeting people face to face. Lasers were one of his great passions and he really enjoyed talking through ideas and designs with everyone.
I'm bringing some of Ed's things along and Buffo and DZ have kindly provided some space and guidance. If there is anything Ed had that people would like me to bring, please let me know. (As I don't know what half of the things he had are, I will do my best to locate them!)
Take care and safe travels all.
Sweet, many thanks!! I have rounded up a good amount of stuff, so assuming the coherent wants to cooperate we should have a whitelight gas "projector" to play with. If I can track down a ~50% reflective mirror beam splitter there are plenty of parts to do 2 scan heads. I have the monster feeder with me too which I think can reach either of the main rooms from the electrical room.
Someone mentioned lights; I have my LEDS and controller for the Club.
Attachment 59051I'm here, where is everybody?
Hi all
Enjoy the dome I have left DZ and Adam to manage it for the last couple of days.
I will be going home after work, and have packed the RV with everything I am taking. I have a wet band saw for cutting glass if anyone is interested in using it while I am there let me know and I will bring it along.
Best
M
Steve Roberts will be on his way shortly.
I am going to be mucking with the broadcast probably for the rest of the weekend, so expect some live troubleshooting/soup/broken views, but we are currently live! I have audio and video feeds from both rooms and some booth cams set up.
https://twitch.tv/singlemode1310
I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know how very special it was to attend my first SELEM this year. Today marks 6 months since Ed/ekeefe passed. I have a feeling he will be watching the concert tonight from above enjoying the music and the show.
I let his son Matthew know of all the kind words and stories people shared. I *think* I may have convinced him he needs to attend next year. I feel that my brother John is already sold on the idea and I'm planning on showing up.
I really didn't know what to expect when I decided to attend the event. I could not have met a more kind, welcoming, zany (in a good way!), and supportive group. It was a pleasure to meet you all and I look forward to staying in touch.
Take care of yourselves and your loved ones!
Friends,
This year’s SELEM was amazing. My thanks to Mary Keefe and her brother for making the trip to SELEM and spending time with us. After an eight year hiatus, I return to find that the venue is amazing, the inclusion of the Z5+ and Radiator consoles is amazing, and the inclusion of video is something new, exciting and also amazing - what an incredible complement to laser shows going forward. This was a visual feast unlike any past SELEM that I have experienced - nicely done everyone!
With everything from ions, to a truly wicked blue diode beast that Buffo treated us to was interesting to say the least. Retro to cutting edge… WOW! Talking animation with Nisha, old memories and the crossover from film to laser, all incredible stuff that really resonated with me.
My old friends, as well making new friends - all of you make up our extended laser family. My only regret, was being away for as long as I was. I hope to be back for what is possible in 2023. Having the “Echoes” band as part of this event simply put it over the top.
A special thanks to Brad, Adam, David Z and David F, Jason, Chris S and Chris T, Rick & Tiffany, Newlin and to everyone that I’ve missed on the frontline, or worked in the shadows to pull this off, a huge Thank You! To all that brought equipment, developed content and weathered the expense to make this happen - Thank You! The number of multimedia possibilities have me excited about what may be next!
To those on the PL forum that didn’t make it, couldn’t make it, or were on the fence, I would encourage you to consider being at SELEM 2023, come join this event - it was great!, sad that it’s over, yet excited about the future.
More ZOOM calls to follow!
Great work everyone!
Greg
Hey John,
It was great seeing you again! Also nice to see you have a potential laserist in the family too!
We talked about a bimonthly call, probably quarterly at a minimum. If we do our next ZOOM call two months out after SELEM, I think this is a good interval. I’d suggest that we reconvene sometime towards the end of September.
Greg
Another SELEM has come and gone! If only I had gotten more sleep... :rolleyes:
I finally unloaded my gear last night. I was just too tired to do it on Monday. (I thought this stuff was supposed to get lighter now that we're all using diodes - sheesh!)
Thanks again to everyone who helped make this event so special. I do realize that this year things were a little off because many people were focused on the Friday show with the Pink Floyd tribute band. We're working on changing things up for next year so that won't be an issue.
Regarding the Holiday Inn and all the issues we had, I think it might be worth looking into other options for next year. I know that the people who stayed at the Elk Forge B&B had a much better experience, for example. Something worth discussing at least...
Note that the dates for next year's SELEM have already been selected: It will be from Sunday, August 6th, 2023 through Friday, August 11th, 2023.
Once things calm down a bit, I think we'll set up a ZOOM call with everyone so we can chat about what went well and what needs to be improved for next year. ;)
Adam
So the Echoes show, if there is one, would be Saturday the 5th?