Quote:
Originally Posted by
dsli_jon
Excellent! Finally I can have an intelligent non-thermonuclear / impersonal debate on this topic... :)
Ha, that is what I wrote when I was mad! If I didn't make you mad then I didn't try hard enough! ;)
Quote:
Again, that has-been *realized* for what it is, has-been reported... If you read what it takes, to actually damage eye-tissue, with laser-light, focused to a pin-spot in the back of the retina, it is more than a 'fair-extrapolation' / assertion, that there is more 'eye-damage' actually out-there, than is-realized... Did you read that PDF / other research about damage-thresholds? Remember, many eye-surgeries are done with 100-250mW, and 'exposure times', are ns-pulses...
Of course not! ;) but I have read a good bit in the past. I think it is actually part of my point, the eyes do a pretty good job of protecting themselves.
Quote:
Of course, but lemme finish this for ya: "... if they were being REPORTED TO THE DOCS..." Again, damage can occur / you don't even realize, because of the way the eyes 'over-compensate' for anomalies... Dead-hit in the center? Sure, prolly gonna get someone going to the Doc to 'check it out'... But, off-side damage?? Prolly rare, if-ever, that 'pointer-junkies and raver-kids' will actually go see an opthamologist to get a retinal-scan, just 'to check'... So, you might say 'well, if they're not blind / bleeding out the eyes, what's the big-deal??' Mmmyeah, I'll take my retinas pit / scar-free, thanks very much.. it's hellacious, enough, having to look forward to getting glasses, etc, just from 'getting old'...
Getting old isn't for the wimpy! I'm a pointer junkie with a 2+Watt 445, ~600mW 405, 500mW Greens and ridiculous 635nm reds as well. I most certainly DO ask then to check me out very closely and ask if anything I have wrong with me could be a result of my laser exposure to high power lasers.
Quote:
Hmm, then I suppose you never wear your seatbelt, do you? :)
My first car came without seatbelts installed. Previous owner had removed them. I immediately put new ones in! Crazy to drive without seatbelts if you ask me! But I don't mind if others choose not to do so!
Quote:
Totally-agreed, there! Thus, EDUCATION / self-'policing' / 'know the qualifications of your buyers', is far, far better than more Regs.. Sure wish eBay and 'Amazon' would get-that... but, no hope on any of those-fronts.. When anyone with the $$ can up and buy a 40,000mW KTP - featuring kW peaks - off eBay, and get it, zero 'age-verification', etc?? Yeah, the 'sky has fallen'..
I NEED one of those!
Quote:
Nice sparring with ya, but I gotta go... my renders are done.. :)
ciao
j
Likewise, but I do notice you didn't address my REAL bitches about Steve's post/website/general attitudes towards his version of laser safety. I think they are extreme and run counter to the viewss and attitudes of the average laser user.
:-)