For all of the Commodore 64 fans.
I made this recording right after I got my Fostex A8 1/4 inch open reel 8 track tape machine in 1986.
If you know about the C64 you probably know about its SID sound chip.
I wrote an app that allowed me to poke values into the SID register addresses. I could set it up with some kind of complex sound and just let it go.
I made this piece by recording 8 tracks of the SID. The pitch changes are done either by punching-in with a different SID setting or by adjusting the speed control of the tape machine while it was recording.
There are no effects in this recording. It is nothing but the SID direct to tape. The phase shifting is done by offsetting the frequencies a bit, either by setting the SID or changing the tape recording speed.
http://laserboy.org/stuff/Ode_To_64.mp3
James.