Quote:
At least in my experience with the EMS 4000 series amps and motors, running with the large aperture 14mm minor diameter mirrors, I begin to see significant performance compromise above 18K. I believe, but I don't know this for a fact, that the 7mm and 5mm mirrors with these same motors and amps as an example, do not preform the same in terms of speed (by a large margin).
Large mirrors are more of an issue today than they used to be, because the rotor mass has been reduced a lot compared to the old 6800 design (which dates back to the 1990's, remember). But yeah, Bill admitted that even his new scanners will take a performance hit if you fit them with the larger mirrors. And the new Cambridge 6215H's also take a significant hit when you upsize the mirrors.
Quote:
As far as the design of the mirror goes, the first approach should be to minimize inertia and maximize stiffness by optimizing it's shape and dimensions and second to choose the best material that is practical for fabrication.
Very well put. So many Chinese mirror manufacturers skipped the maximum stiffness part! I remember in 2007 (at the first FLEM), Bill actually suggested adding a thin layer of epoxy to the back of my original DT-40 scanner mirrors to stiffen them up. When I did, sure as hell, the slight "fuzzyness" in the image went away. It was caused by *vibration* of the mirrors themselves. (Never would have called that...)