Bill in first point, I want to leave a very clear thing that I am not challenging you, because for the way that you wrote, it seems that you were offended with my placement, I only put in the post the opinion of Cambridge that in the moment I share, but that can be changed, reminding you that the basic purpose of the PL forum is exactly to try to explain doubts and/or to solve problems remotely, in other words, at the distance and to change ideas to learn several subjects, besides the technical discussions, I don't want to discuss and to "fight" with you, I only want to change ideas and knowledge, OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Pangolin
Ummm. aha. And, for the record, may we all know who "I" is? Could you please state, for the benefit of the members here on PL, your credentials, including any degrees you hold, any patents you hold, and any accolades you have won as a testamente of your own ability to make such a recommendation?
I am an Engineer formed in 1984 and I work with Laser Light Shows about 25 years and therefore I have a lot of experiences in field and I think there is no need to tell my credentials in full detail, unless you want to know particularly, because this is not the purpose of the forum and the recommendation that I did is orientation of Cambridge Technology, see attached files
Quote:
With respect to why Cambridge makes the recommendation they do in their manual, and why there are three connections on a scanner amp -- if you have only a single scanner amp, then you might get away by connecting your "signal ground" to the scanner amp's ground. But for everyone here doing two-axis laser graphics and beam shows, you have two amps, not just one, and connecting your "signal ground" to the ground connection of both scanner amps will cause this kind of "ground loop" (I hate that term because it is way over used), and the X amp will experience "ground bounce" when the Y amp undergoes hard acceleration, and vice-versa. The result is crappy images (to some extent), the extent depends on the gauge of the wire, the degree of acceleration, and other factors. You can avoid all of this by making only one single ground connection *somewhere*, and the best place to do that is the common ground connection at the power supply itself.
The recommendation of Cambridge is for Dual Axis System with Analog Differential Input (+ input, - input and GND) and that there should be the direct ground connection from the signal source to the Pin 2 on the input connector (J1, Pin2 - ground) on the shield of the wire or the separate wire. If shield wire is not available, use a third wire then twist all wires to provide some level of shielding and still connecting wire ground between specific points of the boards, to avoid strong coupling between channels and also to reduce crostalk between the two channels caused by high ground currents (power connections), you see attached files ElectricalDetails.jpg in the bottom of the item 7.3 Command Input Wiring and also in SignalConnectionsDiagram.pdf
Quote:
For the record, I have nothing to prove. If you want to follow my recommendations, it doesn't make me feel any better about myself. And if you don't take my recommendations, it won't make me feel any worst about myself.
I don't want you to prove anything and nor that the your recommendation makes you to feel better or worst about yourself, I only want that technically, be discussed by several members this subject, to obtain a conclusion.
Quote:
I am confident in who I am as a person, and confident in my abilities as an engineer. Likewise, there are those who have known me for a very long time and, lets just say my reputation preceds me. For those who don't know me, I have the technical certifications, patents, awards, and other accolades (letters of commendation from heads of state) to prove that, by and large, I know what I am talking about.
I am not doubting of your abilities, reputation and nor than you are talking and I don't want to say anything, that it changes your opinion and once again I only want to discuss the subject technically.
Quote:
Of course, I can always make mistakes..... I have my reasons, and in the lab, I can show you or anyone else the difference.
All of us makes mistakes, we are not still perfect and Ok, I going to USA, I will inform you for you to show me the difference
Quote:
In any event, anybody here is free to choose whatever wiring method they want. On a personal level, I don't care. You aren't going to hurt my feelings if you don't follow my recommendations, and aren't going to stroke my ego if you do. Aside from just wanting every laser show to appear as good as it can (for reasons stated in other posts), I really don't care. Especially if you are a competitor!! Definitely don't follow my recommendations !!! :D
Each person can choose what to think better for itself and I don't want to hurt your feelings or to stroke your ego with relationship on to follow your recommendations, what I want is to discuss this subject technically and I don't feel your competitor and yes your partner of PL forum and who knows a future customer.......
Quote:
On a hobbyist level, maybe we can just change the statement a bit. The wiring I suggest is "what works for me". I believe it will also work for everyone else, and recently, big projector manufacturers have changed their designs, so they believe me too. You can try it, and see if it works for you too. If it does, then great. If it doesn't, then figure it out for yourself. Really that's the spirit here on PL -- figuring things out for yourself (hopefully, with the help of others), and then sharing your experiences.
I think should not have differences and to change the statement a bit on a hobbilist or professional level, because the technical information has to be same for everyone.
I can try and to verify if it works for me and to talk for you the result, but could you send me a Wiring Diagram for my scanners and servo boards?
I also think the spirit here of the PL forum is to help the other members and to share our experiences.
Quote:
As a final note, can I call on some of those for whom I have tuned (and changed the wiring on) their scanners, to post in this forum about what your scanners looked like before, and after they visited Pangolin? Sure, there are many changes done, but the wiring is one of the changes that leads to the pretty pictures :D.
Ok, I would like you to call then some members that changed their wiring for them to talk their experiences and to share with the other members here of the PL forum
Best Regards
Carlos