Ok, so I got my cube and tried it out. Neither the CNI or the (even cheaper) no name Chinese brand will shoot straight through the cube. I assume neither laser is properly polarized?
Printable View
Ok, so I got my cube and tried it out. Neither the CNI or the (even cheaper) no name Chinese brand will shoot straight through the cube. I assume neither laser is properly polarized?
They sure do :)
That does not mean they are properly polarised but it does mean they are polarised. If the laser wasnt polarised the beam would be subjected to the cubes 'nornal' mode of operation and would be split it two.
You need to turn the laser about the axis of the laser beam and watch the effect - the easiest way to do this is to stand the laser up so its firing at the celing - holding it gently in a small vice. Then put the cube on the end of the laser and slowly rotate it. At 2 points you should see the laser come out the side at 90 degrees and then fade from there as you turn it and get brighter straight through.
Rob
The only time I can see any significant passthrough is when I rotate the cube 90deg against the axis of the beam. So the cube is rotating on a horizontal axis as opposed to it's normal vertical axis. Does that mean I need to turn one laser sideways 90 deg?
EDIT: I REALLY don't get polarization...
Yes thats exactly right - turn one laser through 90 degrees and mount it thus.
I dont get polarisation either but then we dont need to know how our engine works to drive our cars. Make use of the effect no need to understand it ;)
Rob