Originally Posted by
james
One thing that made the ZX81 quite unique was the very structured way it interpreted its own version of BASIC. Most of the keywords that started a line of code were only one keystroke. The way lines of BASIC code were keyed into the editor was guided, so it was easy to not make any syntax errors. Another thing that was pretty crazy was that if you worte code that would break for numerical user input at the prompt, you could enter a full arithmetic expression with all the variables that you had already written into the code up to that point and it would take that as a text string and evaluate it even through multiple iterations of changes in the values of the variables you entered into the expression.
So when I wrote the Spirograph program, I could enter whole expressions for X and Y at the prompt.
When I got my Commodore 64, I just assumed it would work the same way.
Nope!