Quote:
Originally Posted by
Pangolin
Hi Carlos,
Thanks for the comments. I genuinely appreciate your attitude. And I am not trying to be an asshole, although it might come across that way in a low-bandwidth medium like email or forum text.
My comments are with the intention of helping and you don't worry, because you are not being an asshole.
Quote:
Now lets get down to business. I have had an email exchange about this topic with Mike Thanos at Cambridge. I am not sure what Mike's current title is at Cambridge (he used to be called "Engineering Manager", but he might have a more prestigious title now), but he is basically my counterpart there. Mike has been involved with Cambridge certainly since they began making scanners around 20 years ago, and before that, he worked at General Scanning. Although he is too modest to say so himself, I would consider him to be a master circuit designer. If memory serves, Mike actually wrote the original manuals for the 6800 and for the original Cambridge CB6580, and his wording has probably been propagated by whoever it is that is writing Cambridge manuals today.
I discussed this situation with Mike, along with my current "single point grounding scheme" recommendations. And, for space reasons, while I don't want to re-print the entire email exchange, I will point out a few relevant points in his response. Mike wrote:
Mike Thanos is VP of Engineering and there in Cambridge also has the Engineer Mike Danos and if you can, send the entire email exchange of Thanos for my e-mail.
Quote:
> You are right on every point. We call this "coupling" and it works
> exactly as you've described. In fact, there are a number of ways to
> solve this. One way is to keep everything differential. But as you
> know, some people do use oscilloscopes to view signals. As soon as
> they do this, they add a ground loop.
If I understood correctly, Thanos says that to solve the ground loop, one way is to keep everything differential signal, in other words, the input configuration "Analog Differential", using + input, - input and maybe (????) ± input return GND.
Quote:
Mike went on to show me the very same "Signal connections" PDF file that you had attached to your earlier post. Somehow I completely overlooked that PDF, but actually the answer is sitting right there in that document.
If you look at the diagram, it shows the shield of the cables going into pin 2 of the amp. But on the diagram, pin 2 is labeled as "N/C" which means "no connection". Now, here's the funny part. Pin 2 is not "no connection" it is the signal ground.
I saw this in the diagram and I think N/C means "No Charge", i.e. no electric charge, because it is ground, please confirm this with Thanos.
Quote:
It was the intention to communicate that you DON'T connect anything to the signal ground of the scanner amp, although that gets a bit lost in the diagram PDF you have. Cambridge is in the process of updating that diagram as we speak, and will remove the wire going into pin 2, showing that the shield only protects the wires themselves, but should not make an actual physical connection to the scanner amp itself.
If it was really this the writer's intention, the diagram is very confused, and therefore it is wrong and it needs to be updated, please confirm with Thanos and inform any modification.
Quote:
Also, I have taken another look at the picture of the printed wording from the Cambridge manual you have in your earlier post. This APPEARS to have some conflicting information, but it really doesn't. Unfortunately, the words on that page only make COMPLETE sense when they are interpreted in the context of another diagram in the Cambridge manual called "Power connections". This other diagram shows two separate, single-voltage, power supplies used, not one dual-voltage power supply as is commonly distributed with Chinese scanners. Cambridge chose to show a particular connection methodology whereby the two separate power supplies are connected to the two separate scanner amps, but I personally don't like that connection methodology very much, and it just about requires this separate heavy-gauge wire to be used.
The Diagram "Power Connections" is below and this other diagram shows two separate, single-voltage, power supplies and this CT particular connection methodology with two separate power supplies is called "Bridge Connections", because the power supplies are connected in series, but it doesn't have any relation with the diagram " Signal Connections", however it recommends to connect heavy wire between both grounds to avoid strong coupling between channels caused by high ground currents to reduce the Crosstalk.
Do you think then should not have two separate power supplies and yes a dual-voltage power supply as is usually distributed with Chinese scanners?
Quote:
Incidentally, the wire Cambridge discusses there really isn't related to this matter. It's there for power reasons, not for signal reasons. Nevertheless, we will see if Cambridge updates this document as well, to show that, for clarity purposes, the power supply connections could be made in a simpler way with ground connections meeting at the power supply, rather than using this separate heavy gauge wire.
Whew!! A lot of words for just one simple thing. Although this subject has been contentious and controversial (sheesh) I am glad that it has come up because it gives us a chance to review AND CORRECT our own documentation. (Thanks for pointing out these bugaboos DZ!)
I think really very important we seriously discuss this subject and other important ones and to contact the manufacturers to update the points discussed by the members of the PL Forum, logically when we arrived in a more appropriate conclusion and with the manufacturers' agreement.
Quote:
And with all of this having been written, my recommendation stands. Don't connect anything to the "signal ground" of the scanner amps, and connect DB25 pin 25 only to some common, single point in the projector, preferably at the power supply.
I will send shortly for your e-mail a Schematic Diagram with Input Power and Command Input Wiring (after I to draw) of my Micromax 671 series with 6215HB scanners for you to verify if it is everything correct the connections, OK?
Best Regards
Carlos