Hacked XMMS and JackAudio on Linux to output 6 channels + audio
I just hacked XMMS (modified the wav driver to do up to 8 channels).... in anticipation of getting my new audiolase....
I experimented with Linux and a cheap usb audio adapter that just happens to have the same chip in it as recommended by [and presumably supplied by optionally by] audiolase... That way there will be no surprises... By looking at the previous channel assignments post it appears that audio is on the 7/8 channel... If I should have to output audio on the USB card...
I found mctools' interlx command [CDP Multi-Channel Toolkit by Richard Dobson] which, I think, would allow me to take a 6 channel laser_boy WAV file and merge two audio channels with it... playing it back via XMMS through Jack where I would make sure the laser routed to that new audiolase that I'm getting (hope it arrives soon) and only if necessary, via jack, divert the audio to the existing sound card.... The mctools runs great in Linux on wine too... I'll be able to merge laser_boy output with wav... (The main idea is to have perfect synchronization between audio and laser show.)
In doing all this I successfully got a new JNA (Java Native) application talking to JackAudio... as a matter of fact created 4 clients each with 2 in and out ports... with jack audio doing callbacks to 4 separate Java invocations... weird... Now that I hacked XMMS to handle more than 2 channels I probably didn't need to do that but.....
Either way I think I've got this worked out... Now awaiting the hardware... drool....
--/matt
Hacked XMMS and JackAudio on Linux to output 6 channels + audio
Glad to know the status... I'm waiting for the laser (RGB) too..
Anyway in my testing I guess interlx doesn't quite cut it
[ I can't merge a 6 channel wav with a 2 channel one to make 8]
SO I'm going to have to write something that will separate
Laser_Boy generated channels, add 2 audio channels and
re-master the wav file for 8 channels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by
300EVIL
WOW! Good Job Matt! *retardo
I don't know what half you said means but I do know that it sounds like a step in the right direction for adding audio tracks. Thanks for taking the time to dig into it.
Also, Audiolase boards will be on their way soon. The soundcard supplier I use shipped a whole bunch of soundcards to NH instead of to me! :( I had them send out a new set and they are on there way. They should be here any day. As soon as they get here, the boards will go out.
Thanks for your patience.
Adam
Hacking XMMS, and other software... question on ILDA cable
I didn't think to ask: Does a "normal" 25pin cable work to the Laser ILDA port?
(Is the cable special? ) I haven't researched... shouldn't have been an afterthought...
On the software front I've managed to parse Wave, transform to float (32 bit), output to JackAudio, auto patch to port based on command line port names... adjust volume, etc...
I will, very shortly, write a utility to take a 6 channel Wave and merge in a 2 channel (audio) wav file to create an 8 channel wav file... 6 channels (via jack) will go to laser and 2 to audio...
The laser came today... RGB...
Thanks for the assistance...
--/matt