Great little project - Red keychain laser mod
Went shopping today for a few bits, and saw a small red laser point on offer for £4.99. Always keen to tinker I bought 2 and had a play, the results were so good I thought I would share.
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod...ers/laser2.jpg
The construction of the pointer is like a minuature leadlight, almost exactly the same. It has a nice driver board and a POT !!!!!!! The pointer is powered by 3 small watch batteries.
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod...ers/laser4.jpg
Removal of the module is the same as with a Lead light (its just half the size), make sure the button is pushed in otherwise the PCB will bend the diode leads.
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod...ers/laser3.jpg
I normally tinker with the green kind, but its nice to have a robust small keychain pointer with a bit of poke (see beam images above and below).
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod...ers/laser5.jpg
If you are in the UK I would suggest you get one and have a mod, its a lot of power for a small pointer. I dont know how to measure it but I would guess its heading for 10 mw, which considering its size is impressive.
just a couple of questions...
Do Maplin still sell that laser pointer because I can't find it on their website and could you make it even more powerful by replacing the resistor with a weaker one ?
Can a ordinary red laser, replace its die into Laser Diode