The Second Law of Thermodynamics WILL be obeyed !!
Good comments/observations !! On my " Copper is Proper " Test Bed assembly...the temp probe is inserted directly into the Copper block where the LD is mounted....as close to the LD as possible !! In the Zod Quad...the Brass LD holder will flow heat into the massive Copper base. Thermal Equilibrium will be served...and the Delta T will be minimal....but there will be some Delta T...and unless you mounted the probe in direct contact to the LD case....there will always be some difference !
I will mount the probe into one of the brass holders.....one less hole to drill into Copper too !!....which is a PITA to drill and tap !!!
Bottom line: " Close enough for Jazz " especially with modulation considered. ANY other 445nm Quad builders having issues with heat managment ????? Your solutions ???
But...Will 4.8 Watts cut thru a MilkBone ???*retardo
CDBEAM
1 Attachment(s)
In a Dogs' World......Milk Bones are da Schizz
Yea....General Zod is my Hero....right up there with Gort !!!!
Mike....Glad you Like....haha...see...everything rhyms !!
And.......The attached pic is what Terrawatt has in mind !!! hahaha
CDBEAM
3 Attachment(s)
Progress on THE GENERAL ZOD QUAD
The Zygote proceeds to Embryo !!! The ZOD QUAD is coming to life !!! Slowly…See the attached pics !!! Dave from Laser Show Parts supplied the initial design. I have placed the components as close as possible…leaving some adjustment room between the four (4) diode holders for lateral adjustment.
The base plate will be a solid Copper slab: 152.4mm long by 101.6mm wide by 12.5mm thick ( 6”x4”x1/2”). Total unit weight was not a targeted parameter !!! While many combinations are possible, I chose for the drivers to reside on the base plate. This choice was made because I want the base plate to double as a heatsink for the drivers. With the use of the waveplate, I should be able to use the PBS to combine/overlay : plus : and produce a very compact and tight beam going into the prisms for final expansion of the slow axis to achieve best beam profile achievable in a quad design. We shall see !!! The proof will be in the final beam shots….as it should be!!
Thanks to Dave, Simon and Andrew !!! And a special thanks goes to Simon for getting me hooked into the purchase of an Mini End Mill. Yet another very expensive hobby !!! I machined the Waveplate holder as my first real project !!! You are looking at a VERY,VERY expensive holder !!! I do not know if I will need addition TE cooling?? Unknown?? Stay tuned for more Laser fun !!!
CDBEAM/Terrawatt Labs
2 Attachment(s)
One Hobby Bifurcates into another hobby !!
Yes, Thanx !! I really enjoy machining !!! See attached additional pics !! One pic is of the Waveplate holder. The WP I got from Dave looks VERY good and looks very nice in its new Brass home !!!
And that one Waveplate holder only cost .......Sheeeez !!!
Dnar....as far as P3 heat...Well I want over 5W of blue out the front end...AFTER optics....so I think I will need about 5.5W before optics....So....I will likely need to drive each diode @ 1500mA....One driver will power two (2) LD's. I must check my P3 info sheet as to what imput voltage will be most efficient at this output demand. Any thoughts as to the best input voltage ????The Mosfet of each driver will be thermal pasted and bolted to the Copper slab. Even with that mass of Copper...I will still need to dump heat to atmosphere...,possibly I should machine grooves into the bottom of the CU slab....and then mount 2~3 smaller CPU fans to the finned surface??? Probobally ALL this depends how hard everything will be pushed !!!! With a beam show useage in mind....not too much modulation !!!! Kinda all full out !!! So....I am concerned about thermal managment !!! I would prefer to not use TE units...and stick with CU and fans !! We shall see !!! Any thoughts from anyone ?????
Thanks,
CDBEAM and Terrawatt !!!
Well...I will...If a Hafta !!!
Hi Mike,
Yes....I know you are huge on thermal managment !! I should note that I thankfully copied the Thermal managment system for my RGB projector ( Projector One ) from MechEng3 !!! And it works perfectly !!! It uses Auberins PID Temp controllers, TE units mounted between the Laser head platform and fan boosted fin heatsinks, SO...that is the way I went on that !!
All I can do is attempt to be several steps ahead of the game !! I will prepare the base plate to be completely ready for two (2) 40 x 40 TE units. I therefore will not machine the bottom of the base plate but will find the proper size finned heatsink and bolt it directly to the baseplate bottom and will use two fans attached to the fin side of the HS. If need be, I could then loosen the HS and slip in the TE units.
So...the stackage would be;
LD/P3
Baseplate
(TE if needed)
Ally finned heat sink
CPU fans
This is OK too !!! For I was not really looking forward to machining 16 @ 3/8" slots into the baseplate @ 3/8" deep...although this would give the most compact stackage.
Well, I will be prepared for all contigiencies !!! Sometimes you just have to build it....and sees what ya get !!!!
CDBEAM and Terrawatt
1 Attachment(s)
To TE or not to TE...that is the question ?
OK....3.5W OF HEAT PER 445 LD ...Sheeezzz Like I said...if I am forced to TE the ZQuad...I will !!! But I will first try the massive CU slab...coupled with two (2) CU finned heat sinks attached to the bottom of the base plate. The heat sinks measure 2.56" x 3.5" x .85"...see attached pic. These heatsinks will then be cooled with two (2) fans.
GET THE HEAT AWAY from the LD...THEN...DUMP that heat to atmosphere...that is the goal !!
I will adjust the P3 current according to the combined output goal of 5.5W. If I see more than 30C...I will THEN fall back to TE option. That seems simple enough !!!
As far as a redesign of the ZQuad....When I built Projector #1...I found that by setting up the Green alignment first...and laying in Red and Blue to follow the alignment of the Green...all went very smooth !!! So LD3 will be the main...and LD1,2 and 4 will follow the lead of LD3 !!! We will see...The fun is the doing and learning !!
CDBEAM and TerrawattAttachment 24860
Slick Thermal Calculator !!
Thanx Dnar,
That is one slick thermal calculator !!! What I REALLY want is a metal which has the conductivity of Copper, the weight per cc, cost and machinabillity of Aluminium...the thermal stabillity of brass and... Oh...while I am requesting to violate the laws of nature....make this metal transparent !!! haha. One thing about the CU ZQuad baseplate...It is NO lightweight !!! Ugh !! Grunt !!
CDBEAM and Terrwatt