Hi People, a question was asked me - what is the minimum RGB laser power for 5000 people outside. I know that the highter the better but what can you get away with using a bit of smoke ect.
Like to hear your thoughts and trials
Printable View
Hi People, a question was asked me - what is the minimum RGB laser power for 5000 people outside. I know that the highter the better but what can you get away with using a bit of smoke ect.
Like to hear your thoughts and trials
If you had really good fog distribution, you might be able to get away with 5 watts. However, fog/haze is often difficult to use outdoors due to the wind.
I don't necessarily have an answer for you but, to me, 5000 people outside requires a whole helluva lot more than just one RGB laser if you're trying to even remotely do anything impressive. I would think multiple units or even mixing an RGB centerpiece with some green only units would be a much better route to go.
I'll take a stab at it though and say about 12 watts of RGB flanked by (2) 3 watt 532's might get you into a ballpark.
5000 people 5 watts? Are you on drugs? lol.
I have 15 Watts and if fog, haze and weather isnt PERFECT, it looks like someone is waving around a laser pointer.
If its the summer, and naturally hazey, i would say an absolute BARE MINIMUM of 10-12W of RGB. PROPER RGB's not, "cheap way out" RGB with high poweres of green or blue because it is cheap. We are talking REAL ratios of Lasers (4 or 5W/637 or 640, 3-5W of green and 5-7 of 445). and prob a bare minimum of 3-5W of 532 of flanking greens.
This is 15W of RGB and 2 flanking 5W greens (CT Lasers and Daystar Lasers) VIDEO
this was about 1500-2000 people and fog/haze was pretty well controlled. and we had 4 high powered hazers/foggers.
-Marc
I agree with Marcs answer, been there done that.
You need around 15 watts RGB , and 5 watt greens., otherwise its just not that impressive unless you happen to be in luck with weather and lighting conditions.
Ok all, this was why I posed the question, I was not proposing to use a single projector, just want a range of views. Lobo laser from Germany have done some impresive shows and I belive they are not that high powered projectors but rely on beam quality more than quanty.
Video http://www.lobo.de/index.php?id=lase...deogallery_pi1[video]=5
I wish I could show you the video of the inside of the laser truck. You'd be shocked whats in it. Usually rather strong lasers for outdoors.
Indoors LOBO does the quality over quanity thing.
Pythan's Rule, (Borrowed from the profitable Brain, I mean Brian)
For each scan head, 5 watts plus 5 mW per every person in the audience is a good rule. That rule comes from someone I very much respect, and he actually makes a profit at this. That persons rule is a darn good guide for ION.
Dpss Green buys you a reduction factor of 2 maybe. I know the published data says 532 beats Argon Ion by 5X, but I have always felt that is bullcrap outdoors.
Steve
off topic for a second, but that LOBO video was very interesting! That "Sparks" system looks beautiful!!!
We don't have lots of W so are forced to make shit work. We get good results for outdoor parties of 600-1000 using 2 x 1.7w and 1 x 2w heads.
You just need to control the fog. And control i mean using fans and ducting. You cant rely on smoke machine's them selves and haze is good until the wind blows. You need to chop the fog, mix it with the air and throw it far. This can only be done by large fans.
Using just 1 look viper, 1 robe 1500ft and 2 x 550mm fans we have had fog spread evenly over a 50m x 50m dance floor with wind.
Sparks.
Nice presentation. Clearly high level pros, but nothing radical here...I think. OPSLs, as well as CGs showing multiple diode arrays with good thermal management. They admit to using large scanner mirrors and hence the lower divergence, but they made an interesting statement early on; they reduced the divergence 3X AFTER scanning. Was this a misstatement or a sloppy way to describe their 3x overall lower divergence? Maybe, but nothing about the spokesmen"s statements seemed otherwise sloppy. Any theories?
Its quite possible to place OPTICS after the scanners.
Seen that before. Takes really good engineering though...
Actually I do it to increase scan angle/effective scan speed at the cost of a slight increase in divergence.
Steve
Increased brightness but it must make safety harder to achieve when audience scanning as in their demo video as the tighter the beam the greater the irradiance. That's the only problem I see with the tighter beam to give a brighter show argument. Great for overhead and graphics but possibly more problematic for MPE purposes.
Just put the projectors way further from the audience to solve MPE problems :) I'm under the impression that Lobo doesn't make shows for less than 10'000 peoples... And you need at least these size of event to afford a Lobo show >:)
Steve,
Is it proportional as I had always thought? Place the scanners inside the telescope, double the scan angle, but double the divergence. Plus I would assume pretty significant aberrations from the scanned beams hitting the fixed positive optics. 3X after the scanners is pretty radical. If proportional they would need huge mirrors and huge angles from the scanners.